Multiple headers

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

gnoli
Already downloaded the guide

Multiple headers

Post by gnoli »

Hi folks,
can anybody help me? I have a book of 150 pages and I should do multiple headers. The problem does not pertain the different headers of the chapters, but the pages not requiring any header: white pages, front page and so on.
The guide explains that it is possible to have a variety of page styles and that the page styles applied to specific ranges of pages. Notwithstanding, when I try to apply a different page style, all the pages are affected, regardless to the position of the cursor. It is possible for me to apply only one page style to the file. It seems to me that neither the sections can help me.
Can you?
Thank you very much
Mart°n
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Mart°n »

To separate page styles from each other inside a document, you have to insert “page style breaks”. To do this, choose from the menu: Insert › Breaks › Page Style Break.

Put the cursor on the first page and choose your “no header page style”. At the end of the page, insert the mentioned page style break. Then put your cursor onto the second page and choose the appropriate page style “ToC page style”. At the end of the Table of Contents, insert a page style break again. Then place the cursor at the following page and choose the main page style…

This way you could create and use multiple page styles inside one document.
gnoli

Post by gnoli »

Thank you very much, Mart°n
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I do not understand very well the matter about the TOC. Is there any way to include automatically TOC entries into the headers.
Thank you
Mart°n
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Mart°n »

gnoli wrote:Is there any way to include automatically TOC entries into the headers.
Thank you
The ToC thing is a bit more tricky. Detailed information is available at the Redlex site, within the Mellel Guide PDF or within Don Broadribb’s Beginner’s Tutorial.

The whole thing depends on Auto-Titles. You could insert a Auto-Title via the Auto-Title palette as a headline of a paragraph. The same Auto-Title will be shown in the outline pane (visible via Window › Outline or the Outline toolbar button) and if you use the Insert › Table Of Contents command, the very same Auto-Title elements will be used to create the ToC entries. Also – to answer your question – those Auto-Titles could be shown inside the headers, but there, they are called Mentions. To insert a mention into the header, you could place your cursor inside the header and choose Insert › Auto-Title › Level# where the chosen level represents the level of your outline. For example, level one could be used for chapter headlines and level 2 for sub-headlines. If you like to display the chapter headline inside the header, insert the level 1 auto-title, if you like to display the sub-chapter headline, insert level 2 (if you like to display both, insert both – one after the other).

To conclude, you could insert ToC elements into the header, but only if you’ve used auto-titles throughout the document. The way Auto-Titles are displayed could be defined inside the Auto-Title setup – separately for headlines, ToC, mentions (headers) and the outline pane, but it takes some time to get used to the system. There are also pre-defined Auto-Title setups available inside the Auto-Title setup screen, some more could be downloaded from the Redler’s site.
gnoli

Post by gnoli »

Thank you very much again