Background color and printing

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

anothersite
Got the styles thing figured out

Background color and printing

Post by anothersite »

I apologize if this question is answered on this forum, but I did not find it.

I need to use black type on colored background for word processing (personal vision issues), but I want to print out text with black type on clear or no color background. In other words, "regular" print out of black type on the paper and no background printed. Short of constantly changing my background color when I print out, is there a way for Mellel to not print a background color?
donb
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by donb »

Yes. If you choose File Menu>Document Setup and then check "Background (on screen)", you can choose a background color for when you are typing your manuscript, but the color will not print, the printed text will be normal black on white.

Don Broadribb
anothersite

Post by anothersite »

Your suggestion worked. Thank you. However, I must say the solution is stunningly non-intuitive and not documented in the online help. Color and background searched independently yielded - "No pages with your search words were found".

Again, thanks for the solution.
joewiz

Post by joewiz »

anothersite wrote:However, I must say the solution is stunningly non-intuitive and not documented in the online help. Color and background searched independently yielded - "No pages with your search words were found".
If you download the Mellel Guide (PDF) http://www.redlers.com/download.html and search for 'background colour' (not 'background color'), you'll find the section in question on p. 141.
anothersite

Post by anothersite »

Thank you for the information, which I could not have found on my own.

BTW, search for "color" has 19 occurrences, search for "colour" has 110 occurrences, search for "background colour" has 35 occurences and search for "background color" has 1 occurrence. Of course, the "background color" reference is not relavent to my problem. Since I am American, I originally searched using color. Since I got some results, I figured what I was looking for was not in the Guide. :?
nicka

Post by nicka »

It's perhaps rude of me to say this, but - speakers/readers/writers of various non-US Englishes have to adjust all the time to a world in which a lot of English text uses US conventions (of spelling, punctuation etc.) and there is a lot of English, written or spoken, which is slightly different lexically or grammatically from what we might produce. Generally we seem to get by, translating as necessary and remembering to type 'color' into Google as well as or instead of 'colour'.
Why should speakers of north American Englishes expect things to be any different for them?
The fact is that there is - in a sense - no such thing as English and we all have to learn techniques for coping.
anothersite

Post by anothersite »

Fine.

When I did not find any references to "color" in the online help, I attributed it to poorly written online help that is often an issue with other programs. That is why I politely asked my question.

If I found no "color" in the Guide, then I would have realized that I had a problem, because surely the Mellel Guide would have some reference to color. I very well might have tried "colour." The problem is the Guide has both "color" and "colour." I thanked someone and pointed out the inconsistency.

Please read my prior posts again. What do you not understand with what I have written? I politely ask a question. Then, I explain how a documentation inconsistency would have made it hard to find what I was loooking for in the Guide. Where do you get off writing "Why should speakers of north American Englishes expect things to be any different for them?" in response to my prior posts.

BTW, there is such a thing as English. Unfortunately, it is highly fluid. :( Fortunately, it is highly fluid. :)

PS It was rude of you.
nicka

Post by nicka »

It was rude of you.
In that case I apologise.

The Mellel guide, like the web, and in fact, like the world, has a certain amount of inconsistency. I was suggesting that it's best to adapt to the minor inconsistencies, like those concerning orthographic conventions, that's all. No offence was intended.
anothersite

Post by anothersite »

Apology accepted. Thank you. It is time for me to move on.