FileMaker and Mellel

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

rwg
Knows everything, can prove it

FileMaker and Mellel

Post by rwg »

FileMaker databases allow one to access individual files via a "container." Unfortunately, because Mellel files are now bundles, they are not recognized by FileMaker. I know I could create PDF or RTF files of my Mellel documents and use these, but I don't really want to have to do this every time a document is updated. I wonder if anyone else has encountered the same problem and come up with a solution. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Rolf
nvalvo
Read the guide, knows everything

Post by nvalvo »

A better idea might be to make .zip archives. This can be done quite easily, using the contextual (control click, right click, or "gear" button in the finder) menu.

This will wrap your Mellel file up into a more coherent entity. This process could be automated using AppleScript or Automator, if you're into that kind of thing.

FileMaker — I use it too, for work — has not come as far as we might have hoped, since, you know, last decade. It still feels awfully OS 9-ish. Not recognizing bundles is awful poor sportsmanship for an app that claims to run on OS X. It's that kind of semi-compatible "kind of works" BS that we have opted out of in our decision to use Macs; it's a pain when it intrudes here.
rwg

Post by rwg »

Thanks for the suggestion. However, double-clicking the .zip archive in FileMaker only unzips it and does not open the file itself. I thought I might be able to use the file path instead because FileMaker recognizes URLs, but it seems to recognize only Internet URLs.

Rolf
miles11

Re: FileMaker and Mellel

Post by miles11 »

rwg wrote:FileMaker databases allow one to access individual files via a "container." Unfortunately, because Mellel files are now bundles, they are not recognized by FileMaker.
This is a very old thread so I decided to ask about this problem again. Has anyone found a way to get FileMaker to recognize Mellel files? FM seems to recognize files from other applications I use often, but it will not import newer Mellel files. I prefer writing in Mellel but this is a real pain.

I'm running OS 10.4.3 - Mellel v2.2.5 and FileMaker 7.5.

I was planning to build a db to manage project files.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

miles11 wrote:
rwg wrote:FileMaker databases allow one to access individual files via a "container." Unfortunately, because Mellel files are now bundles, they are not recognized by FileMaker.
This is a very old thread so I decided to ask about this problem again. Has anyone found a way to get FileMaker to recognize Mellel files? FM seems to recognize files from other applications I use often, but it will not import newer Mellel files. I prefer writing in Mellel but this is a real pain.

I'm running OS 10.4.3 - Mellel v2.2.5 and FileMaker 7.5.

I was planning to build a db to manage project files.
Are the other files you have no problem with FileMaker recognizing bundles like Mellel files? Could part of the problem be because Mellel files are actually directories?
— Robert Cameron
miles11

Post by miles11 »

rpcameron wrote:Are the other files you have no problem with FileMaker recognizing bundles like Mellel files? Could part of the problem be because Mellel files are actually directories?
No, they're not bundles. This is a FileMaker problem (my version's a few years old, maybe things have changed in later versions, but I doubt it). Inspiration's outliner app can also link to files, URLs, etc., but it cannot see Mellel bundles either. But Inspiration and FM are both kind of dated and clunky. Neither includes the nice OS X features: Spotlight, etc. (Not the versions I have, at least).

It's the same problem discussed long ago. I was just hoping someone might have found some sort of work-around, by now.