how do I add page numbers?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

FA1
Knows everything, can prove it

how do I add page numbers?

Post by FA1 »

I thought I knew how to do this, but now I'm having trouble. I just want to have the page number in the header or footer on each page. I tried checking the options for header and numbering in the Page palette, but that didn't work. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help...
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

Enable the header or footer in the Page palette, then click into the header or footer to be able to insert something. Having done this, you could open the “Insert” menu and select “Page Variables › Page Number”. Then you could format the number the way you like and set up several options in the Page palette again.
FA1

Post by FA1 »

Doesn't Insert Page Variable just add a single instance of that particular page number? I still can't have it automatically number all of the pages.
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

FA1 wrote:Doesn't Insert Page Variable just add a single instance of that particular page number? I still can't have it automatically number all of the pages.
No, a Page Variable shows up on all pages of one particular page style and automatically adjusts the number (therefore the name “variable”). However, if you’ve switched the page style several times in your document, you have to enable the header/footer in each range of pages (divided by page style breaks) separately and also insert the page number variable in the first header/footer of a new page style. If you haven’t used different page styles or page style breaks in your document, the header/footer should be shown at each page if you toggle the appropriate check box in the Page palette and the page number should show up on every page (in the header/footer) if you’ve inserted the variable at the first page header/footer.
FA1

Post by FA1 »

Thanks, I somehow created an ad-hoc page style, I'm not sure what happened there since I never tried to create a page style and I'm not quite sure how it works. When I switched to Regular I was able to get the numbering.