How to make composite headers?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Timotheus
Knows everything, can prove it

How to make composite headers?

Post by Timotheus »

I want to make composite headers of a certain kind, but somehow I can't get it done; and the various guides, tutorials and introductions don't offer the liberating solution. Since the kind of header I want to make is a rather common one, others might be interested too in knowing how to do this; so I hope somebody can speak the liberating word.

What I want is headers made up of two elements: page numbers and mentions. The page numbers must be right aligned on odd pages, and left aligned on even pages: so in both cases they must be on the outside. The mentions, instead, must be centred, and of a different level on odd and even pages: for instance, a mention of level 2 on even pages, and a mention of level 3 on odd pages. And of course numbers and mentions must find themselves beside each other, on the same line.

This shouldn't be too complicated, but it's too complicated for me. Any help will be very welcome.
nicka

Post by nicka »

It's not really difficult, but there are a few things that you need to take care with.

First, you need to make sure that even and odd pages are both ticked in the page palette.

You want the page numbers on the outside of each page, so:

Go to an odd page header and insert a table with one row and three columns. In the centre column put your auto-title (say 'chapter'). In the right hand column put a page number variable. Centre align the auto-tile and right align the page number variable. Select the whole table and turn off the lines in the table palette.

Then go to an even page header and again insert a table with one row and three columns. Put a page number in the left-most cell and an auto-title (say 'section') in the centre cell. Left-align the page number and centre-align the auto-title. Select the whole table and turn off the lines in the table palette.

That's it. The main trick is the table when you want the auto-title mention to the right of the page number on the same line. That's necessary because auto-title mentions force a new line unless they are in a table cell. You could manage without the table for the odd page headers, but it seems easier to keep both headers on the same scheme.

That's a bit sketchy, but I hope it helps. Feel free to ask questions about the details.
ed
Read the guide!

Post by ed »

hi,

its really good this forum, I just learned how to do tables in headers something I wanted and it was really easily explained.

I want my chapters (auto-titles) so show in the one of the cells of the footer. I got that to work. but the essay contains of an introduction and Prolog which are unumbered. Those first pages the footer then shows <#????#> instead of nothing. I guess the program is confused that the page doesn´t have any chapter to insert in the footer. Anyone how understands my problem?
nicka

Post by nicka »

This has been discussed here before, I think.

You should be able to fix it by using a different page style for the introduction. The new page style could either have an auto-title mention at the correct level for the introduction, or you could just write 'Introduction' (or whateve) directly into the footer.

A bit sketchy, again, I'm afraid. Hope it helps.
ed
Read the guide!

Post by ed »

nicka wrote:This has been discussed here before, I think.

You should be able to fix it by using a different page style for the introduction. The new page style could either have an auto-title mention at the correct level for the introduction, or you could just write 'Introduction' (or whateve) directly into the footer.

A bit sketchy, again, I'm afraid. Hope it helps.
Sorry, can´t really follow, new page style?

It would be awesome if was poosible on the community to show their documents so you could se how they had solved their problem.

ed
nicka

Post by nicka »

You need a page style break at the end of the introduction. After that you can use the page style you currently have. (Note that a page style is a collection of settings for headers and footers.) You need a different page style for the introduction because you want different text in the footer in the introduction.

Does that help at all?