Bookends + Mellel: Overriding styles

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

frvs
Knows everything, can prove it

Bookends + Mellel: Overriding styles

Post by frvs »

In Preferences -> Bibliography, it is possible to convert the text formatting of references dumped by Bookends into Mellel styles regarding ONE paragraph style. I have set this up for the bibliography style, and its works: whenever I have to reapply the bibliography style (or change it), all the formatting remains intact. BUT, since apparently it is only possible to set preferences to do this to ONE paragraph style, all formatted text Bookends dumps into notes overrides the Mellel notes style, with the consequence that I lose all formatting whenever I apply a style to notes. (Of course, had I picked the notes style in preferences, then my problem would concern overrides in the bibliography style.)

What I mean is, if you use Bookends to insert data in both notes and a final bibliography, then you have to chose which formatting gets nicely converted into Mellel styles and which will override a Mellel style. Is there a workaround I am not aware of?

If not, then the need for an option to convert Bookends formatted references to at least TWO Mellel styles (bibliography and notes styles, say) seems to me quite urgent. Any comments on this?
eleuteruiz
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Bookends + Mellel: Overriding styles

Post by eleuteruiz »

frvs wrote: (Of course, had I picked the notes style in preferences, then my problem would concern overrides in the bibliography style.)
AFAIK, there is no way to set Mellel's preferences to convert *on footnotes* formatting coming from BE. As it says, it works on bibliography, not on notes. If you select another style, it will be applied to the bibliography section of your document.
If not, then the need for an option to convert Bookends formatted references to at least TWO Mellel styles (bibliography and notes styles, say) seems to me quite urgent.
I wouldn't say "urgent", but I agree, it should be considered. For the time being, before applying a style to a note, you should convert all special formatting (like bold, italics, etc.) into a style variation, either with Find-Replace or with the rathe complicated Replace Styles feature.
Eleuterio