Mellel 2.2.5 is out...

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Ori Redler
One of the boys

Mellel 2.2.5 is out...

Post by Ori Redler »

Full details are on our http://www.mellel.com/releasenotes.html
  • * "May Split" option in footnotes: allowing you to split footnotes between pages more flexibly.
    * Paragraphs "Space above" option calculated based on largest spacing value.
    * German guide.
    * Improved Marker and table options.
    * Numerous improvements and bug fixes.
Ori
Last edited by Ori Redler on Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ori Redler from RedleX
signinstranger
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by signinstranger »

Is this a bug or a feature in the XML format?

This happens when I copy a text with a footnote and paste it into a footnote. The footnote within the footnote is invisible, but it will be preserved when you save the file. You can even copy it back in to main text. It's not harmful, but I think Mellel should strip the invisible note element when you save the file to keep the file clean.
matthias

Re: Mellel 2.2.5 is out...

Post by matthias »

Ori Redler wrote:Full details are on our http://www.mellel.com/releasenotes.html
  • * "May Split" option in footnotes: allowing you to split footnotes between pages more flexibly.
    * Paragraphs "Space above" option calculated based on largest spacing value.
    * German guide.
    * Improved Marker and table options.
    * Numerous improvements and bug fixes.
Ori
Dear Ori,

Great to have the German Guide embedded. And thanks for the bug fixes re spell checking. That is very much appreciated!

I also played with the new "May split" option and I can see that the footnotes are modified somehow, but I can't see how. The Guide also remains silent about this new feature. Could you elaborate a little on what it does?

As a last thing: Any chances that option-clicking a reference in the text will bring up the reference entry in Bookends again, as it used to be until version 2.2. of Mellel? It is still in the manual, but it doesn't work anymore.

Thanks a lot,
Matthias
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Ori Redler wrote:
  • Paragraphs "Space above" option calculated based on largest spacing value.
Does this mean that the before/after spacing values are no longer additive, but that they now function similar to Word's before/after spacing?
— Robert Cameron
matthias

Post by matthias »

rpcameron wrote:
Ori Redler wrote:
Does this mean that the before/after spacing values are no longer additive, but that they now function similar to Word's before/after spacing?
I first thought it would be as you described, but it seems not to work in my documents. Before/after spacing values are still additive.

Matthias
cyberbryce
Already downloaded the guide

Post by cyberbryce »

matthias wrote:
rpcameron wrote:
Ori Redler wrote:
I first thought it would be as you described, but it seems not to work in my documents. Before/after spacing values are still additive.

Matthias
Odd, I get a different result.

When I edit paragraph spacing using the palettes, paragraphs now appear to be spaced in a fashion consistent with HTML's collapsing margins. I didn't get out a ruler, but I noted that only changes in the larger of the two spacing values make any difference.

Bryce

P.S.: Thanks to the Redlers for continuing improvements!
matthias

Post by matthias »

After playing around with paragraph spacing a little bit more, it seems that the new feature compares the spacing values of two consecutive paragraphs and sets the spacing between the two so as it will match the higher value.

E.g. if para one is "space after 2" and the following para two has "space before 5", the total spacing between those two will be 5. You could enlarge the space after of para 1 up to 5 without any change in the total spacing. Only pushing it to 6, will result in a total spacing of 6.

Matthias
cyberbryce
Already downloaded the guide

Post by cyberbryce »

matthias wrote:After playing around with paragraph spacing a little bit more, it seems that the new feature compares the spacing values of two consecutive paragraphs and sets the spacing between the two so as it will match the higher value.

E.g. if para one is "space after 2" and the following para two has "space before 5", the total spacing between those two will be 5. You could enlarge the space after of para 1 up to 5 without any change in the total spacing. Only pushing it to 6, will result in a total spacing of 6.

Matthias
Good, as expected.

Roughly speaking, it means you can establish a section title style or some other style that is relatively widely spaced, and have it be spaced the same regardless of the context in which it appears (i.e. block or body text), without having to define separate paragraph styles.

Bryce
fdalbo
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by fdalbo »

I am quite angry!!
I downloaded the last update and now I see I do have to pay again for my serial number because my "free update" time has expired. That's quite unfair!! You should have written clearly that I needed a new registration. i would not have updated!!

I hope you can tell me where I can download my previous version 2.2??!!

I assure you, that's NOT the way!!
Marco
Read the guide!

unintended nuisance

Post by Marco »

I think that the nuisance is unintended. I recall reading a recommendation to double-clickon Mellel in the disk image before installing it, so that you can know in advance if you need to pay for the upgrade. That is, the Redlers intend us to pay for the upgrade, but not for going on with the old version.

Ori posted a link to the old version for those who accidentally erased the olf version and have no backup. You can can download the old version, that will be fully functional:

http://www.connectnw.com/redlers/mellel22old.dmg.zip

Marco
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

@ fdalbo: you used Mellel for three whole years, and you intend to continue to use it, and after three years they dare to propose you to pay the enormous amount of $ 19, but you don't want to pay because you think that's too much / not worth it, and now you are angry? Is that more or less your situation?
fdalbo

Re: unintended nuisance

Post by fdalbo »

Thank you!
Now I am running my old 2.2.1 again!
fdalbo

Post by fdalbo »

Timotheus wrote:@ fdalbo: you used Mellel for three whole years, and you intend to continue to use it, and after three years they dare to propose you to pay the enormous amount of $ 19, but you don't want to pay because you think that's too much / not worth it, and now you are angry? Is that more or less your situation?
Dear Thimoteus,
please do not interfere with my business. You are not in the situation to tell me whether 19 dollars are a lot of money or not for me… Simply, I do want to be informed about possible consequences before I do something.
I have any right to feel angry to see that I upgraded without knowing I had to pay for it and I could not undo my upgrade, I could not print while I writing my academics paper and I had to give it today to my professor
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

fdalbo wrote: Simply, I do want to be informed about possible consequences before I do something.
I have any right to feel angry to see that I upgraded without knowing I had to pay for it and…
I agree that one should be informed before making the upgrade. The very same topic has already been discussed here. If you’ve upgraded to earlier versions too, you might remember the hint at the older upgrades that said that you should double click Mellel first to see if you have to pay for it or not (picture in the mentioned topic). The same is true for the current update but I guess the hint was simply forgotten.
fdalbo wrote: … I could not undo my upgrade, I could not print while I writing my academics paper and I had to give it today to my professor
If you are not able to undo your update, you could hardly blame the Redlers. You’ve bought either a retail package (with a CD) or a downloadable software (without a CD). In the first case, you have some “backup” disc, in the second case, you are responsible to keep a copy of the software. There could always be a case when you need a offline copy (the server is down, your internet connection is broken, you have to re install your mac because your hard disk died), so if you need any software to do your work, you should always keep a copy of a known good version. I personally wouldn’t upgrade any software one day before a deadline but that’s something each user may decide on his/her own.