Foisted upgrade

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

spinningdoc
Read the guide, knows everything

Foisted upgrade

Post by spinningdoc »

I downloaded the latest Mellel upgrade yesterday and installed it while commuting on the train this morning, only to find my three years of free upgrades had run out and I needed to stump up another $19 for it to run without the demo restrictions and nags.

I'll be paying the upgrade; Mellel's still the best WP for Mac I've found, tho NWP is looking good.

But it annoyed me that there was no warning that upgrading Mellel would cripple it till I pay up - had I known, I'd have held back on the upgrade and stuck with the full version: not being able to work on something on the train, then export it on a USB stick to use on the networked PCs at my client's is a pain.

Can this be sorted out for the future, please?
nicka
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by nicka »

I think that if you launch the application from the disc image -- before you drag it into the applications folder and obliterate your old copy -- you will find out if you need to upgrade to run that version.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

This may have been the first upgrade where it wasn't explicitly mentioned, but all upgrades for the past year or two (that I can remember) came with the warning/caveat that if it had been over 3 years, you would have to purchase an upgrade. However, 19 USD for 3 years of upgrades is hardly highway robbery, and quite reasonable.
— Robert Cameron
spinningdoc
Read the guide, knows everything

upgrade

Post by spinningdoc »

I think that if you launch the application from the disc image
Why would I do that?
19 USD for 3 years of upgrades is hardly highway robbery,
Quite. It's the lack of warning, not the price, that irritated me.
nicka

Post by nicka »

Why would I do that?
To find out if you need to upgrade.
Mart°n

Re: upgrade

Post by Mart°n »

spinningdoc wrote:
I think that if you launch the application from the disc image
Why would I do that?
19 USD for 3 years of upgrades is hardly highway robbery,
Quite. It's the lack of warning, not the price, that irritated me.
Older versions of Mellel (2.1 for example) had that warning:

(Yes, that small white starburst at the left of the Mellel icon)

The current 2.2.5 (and the 2.2, and 2.2.1) version of Mellel don’t have it anymore. It may be better if the Redlers do one of the following:

• Re-Introduce that little warning badget

• Provide one or two older Versions of Mellel in the download section so that if one accidentally copies the new version over the old one, he has a chance of downloading that old version again to revert to his current full version

• Introduce a new (automatic) update feature (maybe with the widespread Sparkle framework) that informs users about new updates and says whether they have to pay for it or not.