Bookend or Sente

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

raymond
Knows everything, can prove it

Bookend or Sente

Post by raymond »

Hello,
I am considering purchasing one the bibliography software recommended to match with mellel.

My questions:

- Which one is better?
- I notice from Mellel guide that the technique utilized for citations is not containing the way used to be when bibliography is based on footnotes or endnotes.
Is this way is excluded when wishing to create a bibliographical list from a research?

TIA

Raymond
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

I can recommend Bookends which is better integrated with Mellel. But at last it is a question of personal choice I think. Have a look at both and take what feels better for you.

At least I can say the support of Bookends is outstanding.
Reiner
simifilm

Post by simifilm »

From my personal experience I'd say go for Bookends. Although Sente has a better interface it is much less reliable.
entropydave
New to all this

Post by entropydave »

Sente has a lovely UI and seems quite good for the sciences. However:

1. The integration between Mellel and Bookends is better, and better in ways that are useful.
2. The support for Bookends is staggering. I think every problem I have had has been fixed in less than 2 hours.
3. For the humanities, especially if you want to put full citation information in footnotes (e.g. with Chicago A), Bookends is the only choice. The Sente guys have not managed to put this in.

(I also found Sente's licensing scheme somewhat intrusive.)

YMMV,
David.
kga1978
Read the guide!

Post by kga1978 »

Bookends..... An absolutely outstanding application, and the integration is very good. Sente is nicer to look at, but I think BE is the better program.

And yes, the support from the BE developer is just out of this world!

Ohhh, and there's always EndNote..... :wink:
suavito

Post by suavito »

Bookends, for all of the reasons mentioned in the posts above.

But the best thing is that you can get free trial versions of both Bookends and Sente and find out which one fits most to your needs before buying.
Harvey
New to all this

Post by Harvey »

kga1978 wrote:Bookends..... An absolutely outstanding application, and the integration is very good. Sente is nicer to look at, but I think BE is the better program.

And yes, the support from the BE developer is just out of this world!

Ohhh, and there's always EndNote..... :wink:

Our labgroup has standardized on EndNote (ie I got a free copy and was ordered to use it). After writing my first paper with this group, I purchased Bookends myself.

Regards
from Ottawa
Harvey