"Draft" view

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Ralph
Got the styles thing figured out

Suppress headers/footers in Compact View

Post by Ralph »

A year later, another vote for something like "Draft" view.

It would be just like Compact View but with headers/footers suppressed. Page line suppressed too? Maybe.

Could be accessed by a Compact View pref, or another View menu item called Draft View (or Text Stream, or whatever).
joewiz
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Suppress headers/footers in Compact View

Post by joewiz »

Ralph wrote:A year later, another vote for something like "Draft" view.

It would be just like Compact View but with headers/footers suppressed. Page line suppressed too? Maybe.

Could be accessed by a Compact View pref, or another View menu item called Draft View (or Text Stream, or whatever).
You might consider making this a poll for people to vote on - to give the Redlers an indication of support for this feature.
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

Reiner wrote:Mellel is better than Nisus in most cases. But the draft view of Nisus is as brilliant as many other features in Mellel are. I think Mellel needs a draft view like this.

Also I would move the Window>View-Submenu to the bottom Show-Menu. I suggested this long time ago and are waiting for this little move in every little update.
This perhaps ought to be voted/discussed at the other forum here, but still:

The main question regarding a draft view is "what does it mean?"

In MS Word, the draft view is actually a "light" version of the Page Layout view and is similar in most respects to the compact view in Mellel, with some exceptions (e.g., you cannot view the footnotes, headers and footers are hidden), but graphics, text wrapping, etc. are the same in both modes.

In NWE this means something similar, with the biggest difference being that lines wrap to the window, rather than to the page margins.

I consider line-wrapping to the window more a pseudo-feature, as I have serious doubts if anyone will be seriously interested in lines wrapping at anything longer than 100 characters. 15 words or more in a one line is borderline unreadable (feel free to enlighten me if I'm wrong here).

That leaves us with hiding footnotes and hiding headers and footers. Is that it?
Ori Redler from RedleX
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

Ori Redler wrote:I consider line-wrapping to the window more a pseudo-feature, as I have serious doubts if anyone will be seriously interested in lines wrapping at anything longer than 100 characters. 15 words or more in a one line is borderline unreadable (feel free to enlighten me if I'm wrong here).

That leaves us with hiding footnotes and hiding headers and footers. Is that it?
you got the idea I think. but a draft view also could/might/should include a setting to define the characters per line.

Also it would be nice if there would be a setting to define a font which is used to be displayed in draft mode (not in print, only on screen) with the sub-setting if variations, bold, italic etc. should be shown. A "real" draft view would be a typewriter font showing only regular text, no different sizes and nothing with execption of sub- and superscripted characters which should be displayed the same size. This in combination with the fullscreen view could be great.

But I think because of very different individual workflows, habits etc. it would be the best if Mellel would provide settings for individual design of the working surface instead of defining one and only draft view. (Which should also include the option to show selected palettes in fullscreen view to think in the opposite direction imho.)

But that are only my thoughts on that.
Ori Redler wrote:This perhaps ought to be voted/discussed at the other forum here
just move this thread to the other forum, I can't do it.
Reiner
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

Reiner wrote:
Ori Redler wrote:This perhaps ought to be voted/discussed at the other forum here
just move this thread to the other forum, I can't do it.
Not sure if this can be done. We'd better simply start this there.
Ori Redler from RedleX
macbookman
New to all this

Yeah, I'd love a "draft view" too...

Post by macbookman »

This is my first post here, and as a new user, I want to say that Mellel ROCKS!

Okay, on this topic.... Draft view would be great, which for me would mean:

* Seperate on Screen Background AND Text Color. I love how Mellel lets you choose the "on-screen" background color, but when I select a black background, the text remains black. If I change the text to white manually (changing the actual print color), the cursor still remains black against the background and is invisible.

* No "gap" between pages in full screen. Currently, in full screen mode, there is a one line gap wherever there is a page break. I always end up thinking there is a hard return where there isn't.

* Option to hide scrollbar in full screen.

Visually, I love the look of the freeware program WriteRoom 1.0 -- which gives you an empty black screen with plain green text. However, I cant do my scripting formatting in this. It has a nice trick of hiding the scrollbar until the mouse is moved, which I like.

Okay, can't wait to read more!
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

STOP! PLEASE DON'T TOUCH THE FOOTNOTES IN FULL SCREEN MODE!

I very often work in Full Screen mode, and the footnotes are an absolutely fundamental part of my workflow. A separate Draft view, fine; a Full Screen view with options to get the headers and the footnotes out of sight, fine; but the footnotes must remain always visible and editable in Full Screen mode for those who want to see and to edit them!!!
alexwein
Read the guide, knows everything

Post by alexwein »

Ditto to everything Timotheus just said!!
jzents
Read the guide, knows everything

Post by jzents »

Timotheus wrote:STOP! PLEASE DON'T TOUCH THE FOOTNOTES IN FULL SCREEN MODE!

I very often work in Full Screen mode, and the footnotes are an absolutely fundamental part of my workflow. A separate Draft view, fine; a Full Screen view with options to get the headers and the footnotes out of sight, fine; but the footnotes must remain always visible and editable in Full Screen mode for those who want to see and to edit them!!!
Absolutely, I cannot function if my footnotes are not where I can get at them.
mi.cy
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by mi.cy »

Coming back to this old discussion, I would like to offer a different possibility for a draft mode (which I personally would really like to have). As all our screens are getting bigger (and wider!), what about a draft mode consisting of two parallel side-by-side screens:

- one for the text
- one for the note-streams and the pictures.

So, in the main text screen, you will see the note references, and additionally references to pictures inserted, but nothing will interrupt the flow of the text. While writing, I normally really don't care about page breaks and other problems of how the text will fit on the screen.

In the secondary screen (to the left or the right of the main screen) the notes and pictures are shown, possible cut-off when too many of them would force the main text to be forced apart.

Such parallel views would even nicely fit into the full screen mode!

best
michael