Inserting page numbers at different places in same document

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

gpolberd
Knows everything, can prove it

Inserting page numbers at different places in same document

Post by gpolberd »

Here's another problem I'd love to have input on: One of the reasons I want to switch from MSWord is its inability to accept variations on its defaults, e.g., with pagination. In my dissertation, I needed to have each chapter start with the pagination in the footer for the rest of the chapter, it was supposed to be in the header. I had to break up the dissertation into chapters, saving them as separate documents, which precluded me from easily working with the entire text. Can one avoid this with Mellel? Can one put the page number for the first page of each chapter in the footer while keeping all other page numbers in the header without having to break off each chapter into a separate document? Thanks.
joewiz
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Inserting page numbers at different places in same docum

Post by joewiz »

gpolberd wrote:In my dissertation, I needed to have each chapter start with the pagination in the footer for the rest of the chapter, it was supposed to be in the header. I had to break up the dissertation into chapters, saving them as separate documents, which precluded me from easily working with the entire text. Can one avoid this with Mellel?
Yes, although you could have avoided it in Word too. Word and Mellel have the notion of "sections" that have different page numbering and header/footer settings. In Word page numbers belong to "Sections," and in Mellel page numbers belong to "Page Styles." In Word you begin a new section with Insert > Break > Section Break and choose Different First Page in that section. In Mellel you begin a new Page Style with Insert > Breaks > Page style break.

While in Word you have to set each new section's page numbering styles manually, Mellel's Page Styles far out-do Word's Sections in convenience by letting you reuse these page numbering schemes as "Page Styles." Set up a Page Style called Chapter First Page, and set up another called Chapter Subsequent Pages. In each set your header and footers according to your needs. Once you've set the Chapter page style up, and you're ready to start chapter 2, insert a page style break and choose Layout > Page > Chapter First Page. At the end of the first page of the chapter, insert a new page style break and choose Layout > Page > Chapter Subsequent Page. If in the future you decide you want your chapters' first pages' numbering styles to all change, you can simply change the Chapter First Page style.

Hope this helps.