Mellel 2.2.7 is here!

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Ori Redler
One of the boys

Mellel 2.2.7 is here!

Post by Ori Redler »

And with some well behaved, nice new features:

* Outliner import and export: Mellel now support import and export of files in OPML format (the common format for outliners).
* Leopard (10.5) compatibility: Mellel runs with the Leopards now (10.5 is expected early 2008).
* Statistics improved: Counting text with and without spacing and punctuation marks. Also counts tables, images, citations and auto-titles in the document.
* Tables improved: Equalise cells vertically, add rows and columns in place, tabbing at the last cell in the table will create a new row.
* Tabs improved: populate ruler, remove all tabs, and more.
* Updated hyphenation dictionaries: e.g., German (reformiert and traditionell) Greek, Latin and more.
* Numerous bug fixes and small additions.
Last edited by Ori Redler on Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ori Redler from RedleX
signinstranger
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Mellel 2.2.7 is here!

Post by signinstranger »

Ori Redler wrote:And with some well behaved, nice new features:

* Outliner import and export: Mellel now support import and export of files in OPML format (the common format for outliners)
Hurray!
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

A trivial detail: on the website > Mellel > Release notes, the Release notes of 2.2.7 appear under a header "2.2.5.1".
iJulia81
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by iJulia81 »

Ori Redler wrote: * Leopard (10.5) compatibility: Mellel runs with the Leopards now (10.5 is expected early 2008).
I thought Leopard was to be announced in October 2007?
Klaus
Got the styles thing figured out

Great!

Post by Klaus »

Great! I really could use the improved tables, but since my deadline is in a week: is it worth the risk? Or better, is there a risk? Can I have two versions of Mellel (in different places) on my powerbook without risking conflicts? In that case I'd try the new version on a copy of my paper.

Will the new version change pref files or alter app support folder contents?

Klaus
Last edited by Klaus on Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kga1978
Read the guide!

Post by kga1978 »

Okay I really REALLY don't get this. You start working on the tables function in Mellel, but STILL the ability to navigate them is not updated.... It really frustrates me - if you have, say, 10 rows and 20 columns how are you going to get from row to row without having to move the mouse alllll the time? It would be sooooo much easier if you could just tab the 'down' key.

I really don't understand that this isn't incorporated in the program - should be fairly easy? Or am I wrong here?

Also the performance of the program is extremely sluggish when it comes to working with larger tables, but I guess this is more difficult to fix, since e.g. Pages is behaving almost as badly in this case. :cry:
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

Ori Redler wrote: * Tabs improved: populate ruler, remove all tabs, and more.
Remove all tabs is something I'm very happy to have
but
I can't find the command. If I double click the tab window to get the Add Tab Stops window, I find only "Clear tabs of the type," not "Clear all tabs."

Janet
ptram

Post by ptram »

Ori Redler wrote:Outliner import and export: Mellel now support import and export of files in OPML format (the common format for outliners).
Great addition. But what if the next conversion format is MultiMarkdown, so that exchanging documents with Scrivener is way easier?
(OK, I did the opposite question on the Scrivener forum...)

Paolo
ptram

Post by ptram »

Janet,
jannuss wrote:Remove all tabs is something I'm very happy to have but I can't find the command.
It is a bit hidden. Ctrl-click on the ruler to see the command.

Paolo
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

A bit hidden!?!
joewiz

Post by joewiz »

kga1978 wrote:Okay I really REALLY don't get this. You start working on the tables function in Mellel, but STILL the ability to navigate them is not updated.... if you have, say, 10 rows and 20 columns how are you going to get from row to row without having to move the mouse alllll the time?
I'm not sure if this was in the previous version, but the tab key does work to advance from row to row, and shift-tab does move backwards from row to row.

There's still no way to move straight down from column to column, but I have to say that I hope the Redlers' solution is to use a key other than the arrow keys. I like being able to hit arrow-down and advance to the last character of the field. Perhaps a good key combination would be control-arrow? Or option-arrow or command arrow?
Reiner

Re: Great!

Post by Reiner »

Klaus wrote:Great! I really could use the improved tables, but since my deadline is in a week: is it worth the risk? Or better, is there a risk? Can I have two versions of Mellel (in different places) on my powerbook without risking conflicts? In that case I'd try the new version on a copy of my paper.

Will the new version change pref files or alter app support folder contents?

Klaus
Hi Klaus,

while updating an application or the OS with a deadline directly in front of you always is risky. While I would say the risk is very small that something unexpected happens with a Mellel update (worst case should be that something in your layout is changed), it still stays risky. So the more rational thing would be to wait until your job is done.

But that is just my opinion (and I'm not sure if I could way, as nosy as I am ;-) )
Reiner
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

kga1978 wrote:Okay I really REALLY don't get this. You start working on the tables function in Mellel, but STILL the ability to navigate them is not updated.... It really frustrates me - if you have, say, 10 rows and 20 columns how are you going to get from row to row without having to move the mouse alllll the time? It would be sooooo much easier if you could just tab the 'down' key.
Exactly my opinion. I would suggest control-arrow-keys as shortcuts for navigating between table cells.
Reiner
Klaus
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by Klaus »

Thanks Rainer,

I think I'll wait. After all it seems to be the reasonable thing to do.

Klaus
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

jannuss wrote:Remove all tabs is something I'm very happy to have but I can't find the command. If I double click the tab window to get the Add Tab Stops window, I find only "Clear tabs of the type," not "Clear all tabs."

Janet
Hi Janet,

the context-menu was already mentioned. But anyway I also would like to say it would be better to have a tabstop-submenu within the Edit menu which should contain the same two commands as the ruler-contextmenu. And with introducing that submenu the use of the two commands should also be usable with hidden ruler.
Reiner