columns tables parallel

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

writer99
Got the styles thing figured out

columns tables parallel

Post by writer99 »

Is there a chance that in 2.2.7 mellel to make 2 parallel columns oder tables which dont stop at the end of a page?
jolinwarren
Read the guide!

Post by jolinwarren »

Are you looking for the ability to have column 1 on page 1 continue to column 1 on page 2, instead of to column 2 on page 1? As described in this thread? If so, it is a common feature request. See here and here as well. I'm sure there have been other posts requesting this, but I can't locate them right now. In short, if this is what you want, it's not possible now but you're not alone in wanting it as soon as possible.

Unfortunately in an email I received from the Redlers around a year ago, they indicated that parallel columns would not be possible in Mellel. There have been no public comments from the Redlers on this topic since, but I live in hope that they will figure out how to add this important functionality. I don't have much use for the 'newspaper' style columns Mellel currently supports. Parallel columns would be hugely useful, though.
writer99

columns

Post by writer99 »

Thanks a lot. I think it's a big problem to makte parallel columns possible, see: pages, nisuswriter, openoffice/neo office, papyrus, they all don't habe this feature. Only ms word offers this about the tables, but I don't wont to work with ms word. Come on Redlers, give you a kick!
writer99

columns2

Post by writer99 »

Sorry! In neo/open office is it possible - use tables-function!
jolinwarren
Read the guide!

Re: columns

Post by jolinwarren »

writer99 wrote:I think it's a big problem to makte parallel columns possible, see: pages, nisuswriter, openoffice/neo office, papyrus, they all don't habe this feature. Only ms word offers this about the tables, but I don't wont to work with ms word.
Well, WordPerfect 5.1 on DOS had parallel columns back in the early 90s! As did WordPerfect 3 for the Mac. I think the reason it's hard to find is that most developers aren't targeting technical writers. Since Mellel is going after this market, I continue to hope they will figure out a solution. :-) While tables with page-spanning cells would potentially be useful in other areas, I think they are a bit of a hack solution to the issue of parallel columns.
jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by jannuss »

jolinwarren wrote:I think the reason it's hard to find is that most developers aren't targeting technical writers.
It's not just technical writers that need parallel columns. They would be a major help in side-by-side translation/commentary. Now we're falling into an academic requirement and that very much is Mellel's core user group.

Janet
jolinwarren
Read the guide!

Post by jolinwarren »

jannuss wrote:
jolinwarren wrote:I think the reason it's hard to find is that most developers aren't targeting technical writers.
It's not just technical writers that need parallel columns. They would be a major help in side-by-side translation/commentary.
Yes, sorry, that's true. I should have said "targeting people who are writing more than just business proposals"! :-)
Mart°n
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Mart°n »

writer99 wrote:Thanks a lot. I think it's a big problem to makte parallel columns possible, see: pages, …
With Pages you can create every layout you could think of as you could create text boxes and link them the way you like (at least in Pages 2 and the new version 3).
writer99

Post by writer99 »

Mart°n wrote:
writer99 wrote:Thanks a lot. I think it's a big problem to makte parallel columns possible, see: pages, …
With Pages you can create every layout you could think of as you could create text boxes and link them the way you like (at least in Pages 2 and the new version 3).
Yes, I know, thanks. Including pictures it is not so nice to export that to ms word and this format is needed (...). And I also don't want to write with msword & pages & mellel...