Mellel documents not opening... with Tiger on iBook!

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Mellel documents not opening... with Tiger on iBook!

Post by jannuss »

JFM wrote:I could indeed report all of this to the Redlers. If I could send them however some report about what is happening, it would probably be helpful to them. Do you have any idea about some log which might contain a lead?
When you perform a forced quit, I think you get a crash log.
In the Console, look at
-- Log List
---- Log Files
------ ~/Library/Logs
-------- Crash Reporter
there ought to be a Mellel log there

You can send it to Support@redlers.com

Janet
miles11

Post by miles11 »

I've read this entire thread and it sounds like your problem is application specific (Mellel is the only problem). That is, it sounds like your other apps are working fine, is that so? If so, that would seem to eliminate your hard drive as the culprit.

One thing I noticed is that you didn't mention checking your preferences file. Is it possible that something as simple as a corrupted preference file would cause this?

User>Library>Preferences>com.redlex.mellel.plist

You can easily pull that file to the desktop, quit Mellel, then relaunch it. It would create a new preference file, and Mellel should work properly—IF that is your problem.

Just trying to cover all bases. It usually makes sense to try all the quick, simple things first.

—miles
JFM
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by JFM »

miles11 wrote:I've read this entire thread and it sounds like your problem is application specific (Mellel is the only problem). That is, it sounds like your other apps are working fine, is that so? If so, that would seem to eliminate your hard drive as the culprit.

One thing I noticed is that you didn't mention checking your preferences file. Is it possible that something as simple as a corrupted preference file would cause this?

User>Library>Preferences>com.redlex.mellel.plist

You can easily pull that file to the desktop, quit Mellel, then relaunch it. It would create a new preference file, and Mellel should work properly—IF that is your problem.

Just trying to cover all bases. It usually makes sense to try all the quick, simple things first.

—miles
Right - and indeed, Mellel seems to be the only application having any problem, all other applications are working fine.

I have just made an attempt to remove the preference files, and I had great hope it would work. Unfortunately, no: still the same problem!

I don't understand. There must be a very simple solution. But what? Anyway, thank you for your suggestion, this is indeed something I should have done first.
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

JFM wrote:I don't understand. There must be a very simple solution. But what?
Grasping at straws here:

When you reinstall Mellel, does it erase and recreate Users/~/Library/Application Support/Mellel? If one of the plists in that folder were corrupted then (maybe) only the files accessing that specific plist would hang.

How about renaming Application Support/Mellel to whatever and launching Mellel -- it should create a new Application Support folder -- and see what happens.

Janet
miles11

Post by miles11 »

Hello, JFM. In rereading your thread, I noticed one more thing that wasn't listed as something you've already tried in your attempt to find a solution. You could use Spotlight to find all Mellel program files (preferences, application support, etc.) then dump all of them.

Download a brand new copy of Mellel directly to your iBook.

This would require you to set up all your preferences and Styles for the new copy, but it would be worth it if it works.

(You could also save all your prefs and styles to a CD for quick reinstallation in case the new copy of Mellel doesn't make any difference. On the other hand, in doing this you might just be reinstalling the/a faulty file.)
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

JFM wrote: However, the system obviously notices something goes wrong: if I go in the Apple "Forcequit" menu, shortly after I attempt to open one of the documents, there is the red warning "does not reply" next to Mellel. And the only way to quit Mellel is to forcequit.

Still, there are three Mellel documents which continue to open without any problem on my iBook. This is what really puzzles me: if the problem would be with all Mellel documents - but why are a few exempt from the problem?
As it seems to be a software problem, maybe the content of some Mellel Documents cause Mellel to hang while trying to open a document. The “content” could be a lot of things, for example text/images, text with some fonts, text using some hyphenation-dictionaries, text using some styles/style-sets, text using some auto-title setups (where the images/fonts/styles/auto-title setups/hyphenation-dictionaries could cause your problems)
JFM wrote: By the way, since you seem well-informed about that, what are the advantages or inconvenience of having/not having the compressed file format?
In general, the compressed files are a lot of smaller so that’s the suggested option to select. In the past, some users had problems with compressed files, as the used compression library (a part of Mac OS) didn’t work for all users. So I suggested to turn of compression to see if the compression library is the troublemaker.
JFM wrote:Hardware failure... yes, maybe, but it is difficult to understand why the problem is only with Mellel. And my iBook hard disk is not overloaded, since the original one was replaced with a new, larger one two years ago - I use less than half the total disk space.
Neither the age nor the free space guarantees a perfect running system. For example, the HD in my sister’s one year old MacBook died some weeks ago and the first thing she noticed were some Pages documents that refused to open so Pages looked like the bad man at first. As those documents couldn’t be opened on any other system and shortly after some other files couldn’t be opened/saved the real troublemaker became visible. I don’t think that you have the same problem, I only liked to explain, why a faulty HD could make an application look broken.

To solve your problem, you could try three more things.

1. Delete additional files.
The first one was already suggested by Janet & Miles. You could copy all additional Mellel files to a secure place (your desktop, a second HD…) and delete them from your user folder. You’ll find the files here:

Macintosh HD > Users > YourUserName > Library > Preferences > com.redlex.mellel.plist
This is the preferences file, where your Mellel licence and all Mellel preferences were stored. If your start Mellel after having deleted (moved) this file, you will have to re-enter your license (or use the demo for this test)

Macintosh HD > Users > YourUserName > Library > Application Support > Mellel
Delete (move) the whole “Mellel” folder (backup first!). This folder contains some auto-save backups, Style-Sets, Auto-Title setups, hyphenation dictionaries and some more files. If you start Mellel after having deleted (moved) this folder, the standard hyphenation dictionaries/style-sets/auto-title setups will automatically be re-created by Mellel. You could delete those and move your old files back, if the problem persists with the new files.

This whole procedure makes Mellel work like it was started the first time (freshly installed). Then you could try to open the documents in question and look if the problem persists or if they would be opened without a hitch. If the latter is the case, you could try to copy one file/folder from your backup back to its original place (the preferences file, the hyphenation dictionaries…) and test a problematic document after each file/folder to track down the buggy file.
If this doesn’t help at all, you could do two more tests.

2. Create a new user.
You could try to create a new user (via System Preferences > Users), log out of your current user account and log into the new one (make sure to copy some buggy Mellel files to a second HD / USB Stick / a folder that is accessible by both users or make the files accessible via your iMac) Then try to open the buggy Mellel files and see what happens. Within the new user account, Mellel behaves like a freshly installed application (the same if you delete the files mentioned above) and also all other applications look like you’ve never started/touched them. Maybe there is some file on your original user account that causes the trouble other than the Mellel files mentioned above.

3. Clean some caches
Mac OS X generates some cache files for various reasons that will be used with every user account. Those cache files could became corrupt (very seldom) and cause some trouble. As switching a user doesn’t delete them, you need to delete them manually (which is harmless as they will be re-created after the following restart of your Mac and therefore the restart make take a minute longer than usual but the files are fine afterwards). You could do this comfortably with some tools like Onyx (free) or Cocktail (shareware). You could get it here:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/englis ... tiger.html

You could start the application, enter your password and select the “Cleaning” module afterwards. Then switch to the “Caches” tab, select all 4 options (Application, Font, Kernel, System Caches) and hit the Execute button. After the following necessary restart your caches are cleared and you could try (again) if your Mellel problem (which was an OS X problem in this case) is solved.

Hope this helps.
JFM
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by JFM »

Many thanks to everybody who contributed! Help was much appreciated!

I want to provide an update, although you will see that it proved to be a quite unexpected end.

Over the days I communicated on the forum regarding that, I made many tests and attempts, all unsuccessful.

Three days after receiving the last message, I went back to the issue and decided to make some of the recommended tests. Before doing it, without even expecting something, more out of an habit acquired over the past week, I attempted once again to open one of the documents which I had attempted unsuccessfully to open so many times.

And... it opened! I could not believe my eyes! I continued, opened ten documents which all had refused to open days earlier: all were opened without any problem.

Explanation? I have none. Since the previous attempts, I had not installed or uninstalled anything. So I just don't know. Maybe a temporary glitch (hard to believe)? maybe indeed a possible hard disk failure some participants to this discussion pointed to as a possibility?

For the time being, anyway, everything seems solved "miraculously". But I will very carefully take note of any strange behaviour of Mellel or any other application on my iBook.

And many thanks once again to everybody who contributed to this thread. It is really nice to have such a supportive community of Mellel users.
joewiz

Post by joewiz »

I actually had this same problem - but with Leopard on iBook. Mellel would open, but I couldn't create new documents or open saved documents. I fixed it by trashing all Mellel-related preference files and application support files -- those mentioned in this thread. Strange!