Export oddity

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

rwg
Knows everything, can prove it

Export oddity

Post by rwg »

I have recently noticed that when exporting as RTF a Mellel document using Times Extended Roman (which I was under the impression is a Unicode font), letters with an umlaut, circumflex, grave, acute, and tilde are converted into Cyrillic letters, while macrons, breves, underdots, etc., export without any problem. I suppose this has something to do with the way in which the font handles diacritics (which I input using keyboard combinations), and it doesn't happen with, for example, Gandhari Unicode. I shall obviously have to stop using Times Extended when sending RTF files to other people, but I would appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this oddity.

Rolf
rpcameron

Re: Export oddity

Post by rpcameron »

Based on the information I was able to get from a quick internet search, the provider of the Times Extended Roman font seems to be the Bahá'í Computer & Communication Association. Every other internet reference I found seems to indicate this source for procuring the font points to this organization.

From the information on their site, it does appear that Times Extended Roman is supposed to be a Unicode font. However, over at Nisus’ fora users seem to be experiencing problems with Times Extended Roman as well—Nisus Writer Express/Pro’s native file format is RTF.

Is there a particular reason you are using Times Extended Roman, as opposed to Times or Times New Roman? The version of Times included with Mac OS X ought to include every character and diacritic that Times Extended Roman purports to, and current versions of Times New Roman do as well (Mac OS X 10.5—Leopard—includes version 5.01 of Microsoft’s fonts, which are fully Unicode compliant; I’m uncertain as to which version previous OS X installations ship with standard).
— Robert Cameron
rwg

Re: Export oddity

Post by rwg »

If I recall correctly, Times Extended Roman was recommended on another forum for its extensive repertoire, and on checking now I find that my version has 1,334 characters as opposed to 1,276 for Times and only 290 for Times New Roman (I'm still on 10.4). But thanks for alerting me to the fact that others appear to be having problems with Times Extended too.

Rolf