Spotlight for Leopard

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

daiyi
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Spotlight for Leopard

Post by daiyi »

Not working now. Hmmmm. Indexed the entire drive again, and ran the Terminal commands generously provided above. Still no Mellel files on the horizon. Any other ideas? This is not so crucial for me, but...
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

This is typically one of these threads where the silence of the developers baffles me. Do they read, or don't they? Do they care, or dont't they?
zoul

Post by zoul »

Second that. QuickLook would be nice, but I can live without it. Spotlight is a must, especially for a word processor.
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

zoul wrote:Spotlight is a must, especially for a word processor.
Most of us are having no difficulties with Spotlight and Leopard.
Have you tried the fix suggested earlier in this thread?
Have you reported the problem to Redlers support?

Janet
matthias

Post by matthias »

Reindexing did it for me. All Mellel files, including the old .mell format, can be searched again. Before I saw the same behaviour, i.e. only documents that I had open at least once could be searched.
To reindex Spotlight, just add your Mac's HD to the list of items to be excluded form Spotlight searches, close the preference pane, reopen it, and remove the HD from the list again. Reindexing should start after that.
zoul

Post by zoul »

jannuss wrote:Most of us are having no difficulties with Spotlight and Leopard. Have you tried the fix suggested earlier in this thread? Have you reported the problem to Redlers support?
I do have difficulties, the thing does not work. I have installed the plugin, got the “failed” message, ran the mdimport thing, tried to save some Mellel documents and lo behold, nothing appears when I search for some word that I know it’s there. Problems with the Spotlight plugin have been reported on this forum for months now.
bashosfrog
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by bashosfrog »

I'm told by the developers that Spotlight-for-Leopard is coming in 2.5 "real soon". Hopefully that means "in the next few days", but that might be wishful thinking. It's been a long and trying wait. But from past experience with the Redlers, if they don't whiz a fix out the door as soon as it's needed, something even more trying is happening at their end.

Matt
mtp
New to all this

Post by mtp »

I am having a trouble with Spotlight, too. But, for me, Spotlight does not search any content of Mellel Document Package files (files with the .mellel extension). It does search old Mellel documents (.mell). I did the privacy-setting thing (re-indexing) in the Systems Preferences, but it does not seem to solve the problem. Any suggestions?
verma

Post by verma »

mtp wrote:I am having a trouble with Spotlight, too. But, for me, Spotlight does not search any content of Mellel Document Package files (files with the .mellel extension). It does search old Mellel documents (.mell). I did the privacy-setting thing (re-indexing) in the Systems Preferences, but it does not seem to solve the problem. Any suggestions?
Did you force re-indexing with the Terminal line (given in a previous post in this thread)? Did you wait long enough? Before forcing the re-indexing, check that you have the Mellel plugin (mellel.mdimporter) of 2006 - in your Spotlight Folder in the Library (or Users/Library).
mtp
New to all this

Post by mtp »

verma wrote:
mtp wrote:I am having a trouble with Spotlight, too. But, for me, Spotlight does not search any content of Mellel Document Package files (files with the .mellel extension). It does search old Mellel documents (.mell). I did the privacy-setting thing (re-indexing) in the Systems Preferences, but it does not seem to solve the problem. Any suggestions?
Did you force re-indexing with the Terminal line (given in a previous post in this thread)? Did you wait long enough? Before forcing the re-indexing, check that you have the Mellel plugin (mellel.mdimporter) of 2006 - in your Spotlight Folder in the Library (or Users/Library).
Thank you for your tip and sorry for the belated reply. I re-installed the Mellel spotlight plugin and tried reindexing by "/usr/bin/mdimport -r /Library/Spotlight/Mellel.mdimporter" but it does not seem to have worked. I still cannot search contents of mellel documents.

Actually, the spotlight was working fine when I was using Tiger. Could it be a Leopard issue? In fact, I cannot search contents ("Entire Message") in Mail, either, which is a major inconvenience. I wonder if these are related problems.
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

Not working here either. Tried terminal command and Spotlight indexer. My drive was re-indexed but Spotlight does not list any Mellel files.

Any other ideas?
verma

Post by verma »

daiyi wrote:Not working here either. Tried terminal command and Spotlight indexer. My drive was re-indexed but Spotlight does not list any Mellel files.

Any other ideas?
Sorry, MTP and Daiyi - my bad. It doesn't work on Leopard! I thought it worked because I rely on a tag-system. Spotlight finds the tags, but not the Mellel innards. I was wrong.

Sorry for waiting your time!
verma

Post by verma »

OK, after waisting your time, I decided to see what happened.

Did the whole process and indeed: nothing. No normal content search in 10.5.2 for Mellel.

What does work: when you specify (Document Info > Keywords) a keyword, that keyword is found. But Mellel.mdimporter can't see "normal" contents.

I sent a mail to the Redlex support address.
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

verma wrote:But Mellel.mdimporter can't see "normal" contents.
Running Leopard 10.5.2 and Mellel 2.2.7.2, my searches with Spotlight do see normal content.
[I don't use keywords]

Just yesterday I updated a set of mailing lists I keep on Mellel -- I flipped/flopped in and out using Spotlight dozens of times to find the files I needed.

Janet
jolinwarren
Read the guide!

Post by jolinwarren »

mtp wrote:Thank you for your tip and sorry for the belated reply. I re-installed the Mellel spotlight plugin and tried reindexing by "/usr/bin/mdimport -r /Library/Spotlight/Mellel.mdimporter" but it does not seem to have worked. I still cannot search contents of mellel documents.
Searching Mellel documents with Spotlight does work in 10.5.2 for me, but the above method of reindexing did is not what got it working. After installing the Mellel Spotlight plugin in 10.5.2, you need to re-index your drive using the 'Privacy' tab in the Spotlight preference pane as described by matthias above.