Is there a way to cycle through open document windows?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Bensch
Read the guide!

Is there a way to cycle through open document windows?

Post by Bensch »

Hi!

Is there a shortcut to surf through the windows of open documents? I'm missing that quite often. In some apps, one can use cmd-< and cmd-> for it, but that doesn't work in Mellel. I can't find a menu entry neither that I could use to assign a shortcut to in System prefs...

Thx,
Bensch
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Is there a way to cycle through open document windows?

Post by rpcameron »

The universal keyboard shortcut is CMD+` (that's a backtick, next to the "1" in the upper–left hand corner of the keyboard). This works in every application, and is used to cycle through an application's open windows. One note, though, is that it does not work with minimized windows.
— Robert Cameron
Bensch
Read the guide!

Post by Bensch »

Thanks for your help!

Well, I sadly just noticed that it just doesn't seem to work with the austrian (german neither) keyboard layout. Or at least with mine.

On german keyboards, ` is actually used for <, so it should work. But it doesn't. When I swith to U.S. layout, it works like a charm.

Perhaps it's a 10.5 bug. But I think I'll try to resolve that in a german forum.

Thanks again,

Bensch
matthias
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by matthias »

Bensch,
I am on a German keyboard, too. And cmd-< works just fine here. Could it be that you have assigned cmd-< for something else in Mellel, or, more likely, that you have installed some obscure Service that uses cmd-< as a shortcut? The latter was the reason why I had the very same problem in Word a while ago.
Matthias
Bensch
Read the guide!

Post by Bensch »

Hi Matthias,

I just resolved it. It seems to be a common problem, that in german localizationes the shortcut changes to cmd-`, which is of course the US-shortcut. Only that the `-button is on a completely different place on the german keyboard.

I now changed it back to cmd-> and it works fine again.

Thanks,
Bensch
SteveH
Read the guide!

Post by SteveH »

You could also try Witch by Peter Maurer. It will cycle through document windows and also restore minimised windows.