Unicode and Find

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

jb
Read the guide, knows everything

Unicode and Find

Post by jb »

For me, Find does not distinguish between 03D6 (ϖ) and 03C0 (π).

I’ve got a bunch of files with 03D6 (ϖ--a version of Greek Pi) where Omega should be, and I can’t do a Find/Replace because a search for 03D6 (ϖ) finds 03C0 (π) as well. Copy/Paste into Find produces the same results. Mellel, it seems, doesn’t distinguish between 03D6 and 03C0. This seems unlikely, but I can’t explain its behavior any other way.

Special Characters window has no trouble recognizing these as different and identifying the codes properly.

Is it just me, or does everyone have this trouble?
transalpin
Read the guide!

Re: Unicode and Find

Post by transalpin »

This is probably the standard behaviour for searching. However, I suggest the user should be able to choose the preferred Normalization Form, just as you can distinguish or ignore capitalization. In short, add the option “[] ignore variant characters”.
jb

Post by jb »

I'd hope for the ability to search with Unicode #s so as to be able either to include or to exclude alternate forms. My problem is that I need to find one of the variants, but not the standard/normal form.
signinstranger
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by signinstranger »

transalpin wrote:This is probably the standard behaviour for searching. However, I suggest the user should be able to choose the preferred Normalization Form, just as you can distinguish or ignore capitalization. In short, add the option “[] ignore variant characters”.
It works here when I uncheck the "ignore capitalization" check box
jb

Post by jb »

signinstranger wrote: It works here when I uncheck the "ignore capitalization" check box
Brilliant!
This obviously hadn't occurred to me...

Edit: I spoke a bit quickly. For my purposes this works fine, but with "Ignore case" unchecked Find now doesn't distinguish between Π (capital letter) and ϖ. As I say, for me this works, but it does seem that the Find function ought to be able to distinguish...

Thanks much.