creating new style sets

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Lee
New to all this

creating new style sets

Post by Lee »

Greetings all, I am having trouble creating a global style set even after following the instructions in the Mellel guide. Initially the new style set was only document specific. After hitting the "global" button in the edit style sets the style set will change from a document specific set to a global style set. However, if I close Mellel and restart it, that new style set is not listed in addition to the default style set under the style sets menu. Neither is the new style set in the style sets folder. I have tried going through this process several times. All to no avail. I would be grateful for any help :)

Lee
grebmar
Already downloaded the guide

Re: creating new style sets

Post by grebmar »

I am also having difficulty figuring out global style sets. The Global button on the "Edit style sets" window is greyed out for all my style sets. I assume this means they are already global. I changed a style set (called "Outline") on document A to make it work consistently over a set of documents. It worked just fine, but when I opened document B, already with the "Outline" style set, it does not apply the recently changed styles. I need to change them again. This is true for all documents assigned the "Outline" style. And if I create a new style, it does not give me the option of making it global. the global button never becomes active.

Am I missing something here about how to create local and global styles?
donb
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by donb »

This is not a problem I have been having. One possibility: have you checked Preserve Document Styles or Update Document Styles in the Mellel Preferences' Open & Save section? This might be the key to your problem.

Don Broadribb
grebmar

Post by grebmar »

The "Update document styles" button is checked. I assume that means that it should follow the modified style set.
donb
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by donb »

It should provided you have closed the document before you made the styleset changes -- styleset changes do not apply to documents already open, only when they have been closed and then reopened. But note also that if you change from one styleset to another after opening a document, you will have to choose how you want the document to be treated. I cover that too in my Tutorial.

If you still have problems after taking the above into account, you might do well to first quit Mellel, then go to user>library>application support>mellel and zip (compress) the stylesets folder there. Move the zipped folder somewhere else, and delete the stylesets folder that remains in the application support>mellel folde; just in case the stylesets items have become corrupted. By having a zipped copy elsewhere on your computer you can always unzip it and restore your current stylesets if this should prove necessary. Then restart Mellel. This will force Mellel to create new stylesets from documents as you open them or as you create them.

Don Broadribb
grebmar

Post by grebmar »

I'm afraid I still have no luck. I removed the stylesets folder, reopened Mellel, and opened the file with the revised "Outline" styleset. This time I could click the "global" icon, and I did that. I closed the file, and opened another with the "outline" styleset, but it did not use the new formats, even when I applied the "Outline" styleset from the "Style Set" menu.

Now, these styles are also applied to Autotitles, but that shouldn't make a difference, since you select a character and paragraph style when you set up the autotitle. Or am I mistaken here?