We don't need no stinking page numbers!!!!!!!!!

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

este.el.paz
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: We don't need no stinking page numbers!!!!!!!!!

Post by este.el.paz »

Janet:

Thanks for your post, I have learned a few things from your posts here, however perhaps this one was not necessary. I just brought it up because Hans-R was winding the clock back to an earlier post here, which I even think you had already posted something like this info above. I understand very well that there is a translation that goes on when a file is exported and imported. The exact programming details of that process I neither know, nor need to know--not enough time. What I was/am saying is that, knowing that a translation takes place when a file is exported, means that potentially yet another translation takes place when it is opened or imported again--perhaps allowing for some kind of distortion to take place--that distortion, potential, may offer another opportunity to move or misplace text, etc, resulting in a problem that may or may not show up when a WORD or WORD clone user tries to open the file. So, that is why I never considered re-importing a file back into Mellel--before--in the past--before your post about opening or re-importing a Mellel file.
I have learned from you that Mellel will open an RTF file, which has shown to be OK in terms of checking files--although we!!!!!! (mr Mel & I) did find that the exported & re-opened in Mellel file showed the first line of text to be dropped down 3-4 lines. Haven't had time to investigate that situation as per the gal from London????????? suggested; I said I would start a new thread for that topic. Thanks for your help and attention, appreciate your earnest seriousness, sometimes a sense of humor is required to make our way through life . . . .

eep
nicka

Post by nicka »

the gal from London?????????
Do you mean me? 'Nick' is short for 'Nicholas' in my case!

About importing, exporting and rtf: rtf is a bit of an odd format because it is not (unlike .mellel or.doc files) the native format of the application it belongs to, but (unlike .mp3 and .jpg) files, it really does only belong to one application: it is owned (literally -- they bought it, many years ago) by Microsoft, and it has been updated and extended so that it supports whatever features Word provides. It is not really a file-interchange format, except that it has become used that way: it's a kind of shadow secondary format for MS Word. The upshot is that the only application that can be (just about) relied on to display everything in an rtf file is Word itself.

On the other hand: Mellel can and should be able to display everything that it has written into an rtf file (on export to rtf, I mean), and it should do so consistently. On the other hand, as with more or less any export, some things will be lost (think of exporting from Photoshop to .jpg, if that helps).
este.el.paz

Post by este.el.paz »

Nick A:

Sorry, homes, I should have said the person from London . . . man/woman, it's all the same anyway; : - ) had about 5 conversations going on with folks and didn't have time to look thru the posts. Yes, you--haven't taken the time to check your suggestion to copy and delete all but first paragraph to see what happens . . . but I will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (multiple use of exclamation marks to emphasize my intention to investigate the issue) try another export to see what happens . . . .

eep
verma

Post by verma »

este.el.paz wrote:Janet:

I have learned from you that Mellel will open an RTF file, which has shown to be OK in terms of checking files--although we!!!!!! (mr Mel & I) did find that the exported & re-opened in Mellel file showed the first line of text to be dropped down 3-4 lines. Haven't had time to investigate that situation as per the gal from London????????? suggested;
eep
the export doesn't re-apply previously defined Mellel-styles. That could perhaps explain the drop. Did you have a header in the document? Can you undo the drop by applying the styles from the original document?
este.el.paz

Post by este.el.paz »

Verma:

Thanks for taking the time to post your idea, sorry for the delay to respond, when I had time the internet connection at work was bad and then I got busy. On your suggestion, it may be perfect but I would have no idea, my needs for a word processor are now very basic--I don't have any styles saved, as far as I know. I more or less use the default set-up except for font. Before I needed a program that worked with a citation manager to create bibliographies for multiple papers and I have one thing going using the auto-titles but I had to pull off that project to work on a big manuscript, but couldn't get the auto-titles to match the font I was using so now just using mr Mel as your very basic word processor--to type words . . . . That was a long winded way to say that my use of Mellel was a bit more in depth than it is now, which wasn't that demanding . . . .

On the recent paper that I sent out to the cruel world for review I checked the the character styles palette and the only items that are stored there are a number of different font styles that I use. I would have to actually read the guide to see how I could "re-apply the original styles to the exported product." As I said to janet when I first tried exporting to DOC the results were tweaked and wasn't told about being able to re-open export in Mellel; and then make changes in the export, haven't had the time or need to do that yet. Just haven't had time to start fiddling with the "person from London's" suggestion either, but thanks I will endeavor to persevere.

Forgot to post that, yes there is a header--I have "All/odd page header" checked off and the show first page header is unchecked. The first page is a title page--but that is not set up in auto-title fashion--it's a five pager and the text begins on second page. In the export to RTF the second page begins 3 or 4 lines down. : - )

eep