no undo?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

soliphint
Knows everything, can prove it

no undo?

Post by soliphint »

I'm in the process of editing a document in 2.5, and tried to "go back" with Cmd + Z (or "Undo" in the menu) and there is no such option available; it is grayed out. Is there a reason for this?
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Re: no undo?

Post by Ori Redler »

soliphint wrote:I'm in the process of editing a document in 2.5, and tried to "go back" with Cmd + Z (or "Undo" in the menu) and there is no such option available; it is grayed out. Is there a reason for this?
The Undo is working fine, but not beyond a save (at list right now).
Ori Redler from RedleX
ozean

Post by ozean »

This is probably caused by Mellel’s autosave function. Mellel can only undo changes up to the last save point (which is a severe problem, in my opinion).

I work around this limitation/bug by not using the autosave and instead setting the automatic backup time interval to something like 5-10 minutes. (You can change this setting in Mellel’s preferences.) And I only hit command+S when I am pretty sure I do not need to go back. (Time machine might also help in this regard – if you keep it running all the time you will have the chance to go back an hour or two to check what you entered there.)

Regardless of the work-around I hope that this will be fixed soonish…

Edit: Oops, Ori was quicker ;)
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

Ori Redler wrote:
soliphint wrote:I'm in the process of editing a document in 2.5, and tried to "go back" with Cmd + Z (or "Undo" in the menu) and there is no such option available; it is grayed out. Is there a reason for this?
The Undo is working fine, but not beyond a save (at list right now).
Thanks. It was Auto-save that got me.
bluesdance
Location: NYC [school], rural north of Toronto [summer], Pittsburgh [otherwise]

Post by bluesdance »

WOW. I was always frustrated that sometimes undo works and sometimes it doesn't... I had no idea that the problem was connected to the fact that I save every 2 seconds.
This is a MAJOR bug for such a professional program and it really needs to be a high priority fix for 2.5.1.
I would say it should be fixed before you add any new features... that's just my 2 agurot.
Mellelers for Undo Reform
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

bluesdance wrote:WOW. I was always frustrated that sometimes undo works and sometimes it doesn't... I had no idea that the problem was connected to the fact that I save every 2 seconds.
This is a MAJOR bug for such a professional program and it really needs to be a high priority fix for 2.5.1.
I would say it should be fixed before you add any new features... that's just my 2 agurot.
As this is no bug it couldn’t be fixed. I agree, that the whole undo system should be re-done (there is already a long discussion about this somwere buried in this forum) but on the other hand, saving every 2 seconds probably isn’t the best strategy for most of the Mellel users.
bluesdance

Post by bluesdance »

Can you name ANY major word processor made within the last ten years that has the same (glaring) shortcoming?
Undo is one of those things that needs to "just work" in order for the end user to have faith in the program.

I save every two seconds no matter what program I'm in, whenever. This is probably partly because I use Pages for all of my monolingual documents and Pages doesn't have any kind of autosave or backup... I found that out the hard way :( What can I say, I was traumatized.
nicka

Post by nicka »

Can I join?
verma

Post by verma »

bluesdance wrote:Can you name ANY major word processor made within the last ten years that has the same (glaring) shortcoming?
Undo is one of those things that needs to "just work" in order for the end user to have faith in the program.

I save every two seconds no matter what program I'm in, whenever. This is probably partly because I use Pages for all of my monolingual documents and Pages doesn't have any kind of autosave or backup... I found that out the hard way :( What can I say, I was traumatized.

I don't really think this is a shortcoming. Agreed, some wordprocessors force their users to save every second and make 34 backups at the same time. Working with Mellel, you can forget about executing the save command until you close your document.

What I find more interesting, is that a user would be allowed to select which operations to undo / redo [before saving].
bluesdance

Post by bluesdance »

nicka wrote:
Can I join?
YES
(you can put that text in your signature if you want, you have to go through "User Control Panel")

Nicka,
My question remains: Can you name any program that has the same shortcoming as Mellel in this area? Even tiny programs like TextEdit and WordPad can handle undos after save. Microsoft Word could do it fifteen years ago. Every graphics program ever made can do it. Basically it's not a space age technology and I shouldn't have to decide between saving my work and saving my undo tree.

Another undo problem is that you can't undo changes to the style sheet. I understand why that doesn't work at present time, but the programmers should take the time to make it work seamlessly so I don't have to know that they had to insert external file modications into the undo tree.

Anyway if we're supposed to rely on the backups, there should be an option to put the backup in the same folder as the file we're working on, so in the case of (say) a power outage we don't have to navigate through the Library folders to get our work back.
bluesdance

Post by bluesdance »

and there's also the problem of undoing a simple text entry triggering a lengthy "rendering document..." popup
nicka

Post by nicka »

nicka wrote:

Can I join?
YES
(you can put that text in your signature if you want, you have to go through "User Control Panel")
Done that. See below.
Nicka,
My question remains: Can you name any program that has the same shortcoming as Mellel in this area?
Maybe WordPad on Windows (I haven't checked, but it seems possible).
I shouldn't have to decide between saving my work and saving my undo tree.
Agreed!
Another undo problem is that you can't undo changes to the style sheet. I understand why that doesn't work at present time, but the programmers should take the time to make it work seamlessly so I don't have to know that they had to insert external file modications into the undo tree.
Agreed again.