Baseline matching with equations pasted from MathMagic

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

lanceboyle
Got the styles thing figured out

Baseline matching with equations pasted from MathMagic

Post by lanceboyle »

Some months ago, I had a series of detailed exchanges with both the Mellel people and the MathMagic people about how the baselines of equations pasted from MathMagic didn't align. I haven't used Mellel much since then but am preparing for another project using it. Thus, I was surprised to see that there apparently hasn't been any progress on the baseline problem. I was especially surprised since I had recently read that, specifically, MathMagic works correctly with Mellel in that regard.

The problem is that equations (typically) are misadjusted upwards by about 1/2 to 1 or more pixels when viewed at normal font sizes and zoom factors. The problem scales with zooming. 1/2 pixel might not seem like much but it is immediately obvious and gives the result a clearly amateurish appearance.

The offset probably varies depending on the actual equation. Easy test: type an italic a in Times New Roman and then paste the same character from MathMagic. The pasted version (in 12 pt) is at least one pixel too high.

I would really like the Mellel folks and the MathMagic folks to work this out without my being the go-between--before, I spend several hours sniffing out the problem and e-mailing people.

Many thanks for your attention.

Jerry