Scanning with Bookends yields straight quotes, not curly

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

robinbluebird
Got the styles thing figured out

Scanning with Bookends yields straight quotes, not curly

Post by robinbluebird »

I'm working with Bookends-Scrivener-Mellel. My workflow is the following:

-Write in Scrivener, paste in references from Bookends in curly brackets.
-Export as rtf
-Open rtf file in Mellel
-In Mellel, transform the references in curly brackets into citation fields
-Scan document with Bookends.

When I do this, I get straight quotes in the formatted references in the final documents, instead of curly quotes. (All the references are in footnotes.)

I have checked the box to activate typographer's quotes in the Mellel preferences.

I have not entered any quotes at all in the Bookends data fields. They are applied by the Chicago 15th bibliographical style (for example, enclosing the title of a journal article). When I generate a formatted reference within Bookends, it appears correctly with curly quotes.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? I did search the forums but I couldn't bring up anything helpful. I have also gone through the Bookends preferences, user guide, and forums, and I can't find any way to affect this from Bookends' side.

Thanks very much
Robin
jb
Read the guide, knows everything

Re: Scanning with Bookends yields straight quotes, not curly

Post by jb »

This seems to have to do with the Chicago 15th Footnote style as it's set up in BE. Not sure about it all, but here's a work-around:

Open Formats Manager in BE and have a look at Chicago 15th Footnote. You'll see the straight quotes. If you choose another style, say MLA, you'll find curly quotes. Just copy and paste to replace. This should change the output from BE to Mellel.
DanZac
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by DanZac »

That's right. You need to put curly quotes into the format, or in your fields when they have them. The keystroke for curly quotes in BE is alt and alt>shift with the square bracket keys.

I've requested from BE a curly quotes option, you should request it on the BE forum as well.
robinbluebird
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by robinbluebird »

Thank you both very much! This worked.
I had been looking at the Chicago 15th A style in the Formats Manager, which has the curly quotes, instead of the Chicago 15th A Footnote style, which doesn't.
Thanks!
jb
Read the guide, knows everything

Post by jb »

Just to close the circle:

Jon at BE has replied:

http://www.sonnysoftware.com/phpBB3/vie ... f=2&t=2050