Cross references tutorial

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

SteveLuke
Got the styles thing figured out

Cross references tutorial

Post by SteveLuke »

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out how to use cross references. So far my 'try it out' approach has crashed and burnt (well, my dinner burnt while I wrestled with setting up a basic page cross reference), and the instructions in the pdf manual are written in a language I dont understand.

Unfortunately, my attempt to search through the forums was rejected by the system, which, rather elitely, informed me that 'cross references' was too common a term to be searched on. As is 'cross'. As is 'references'. Well, preserve us from common problems, and especially being able to narrow in on common problems in a common forum. The FAQ consists only of admin stuff, not Mellel usage stuff. All I have gleaned so far is that there is somewhere a tutorial that includes material on how to set up basic cross references. Yet there is no easy reference for locating this tutorial that I can see on the Mellel webpage?

So if anyone can point me in the right direction with an url for the tutorial, or any other hands on guide for people who just want it to work, I'd be utterly appreciative.

Steve Luke
Mart°n
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Cross references tutorial

Post by Mart°n »

You could take a look at the “Tutorials & Tips” section of the Redler’s website:
http://www.redlers.com/supporttutorials.html

There you’ll find (after scrolling down a bit) Don Broadribb’s “Tutorial for Beginners” which covers Cross References among some other themes. I haven’t read that chapter so I couldn’t judge its quality but I found other chapters to be quite helpful:

http://www.connectnw.com/redlers/tips/m ... inners.pdf
SteveLuke

Post by SteveLuke »

Ah, between the manual and the tutorial it becomes more clear. Heres how I would describe it for simplicity and clarity for people like me.

1 Every reference will require a specific target.
2 Every target will be a bookmark.
3 Two references that mutually refer to each other will require a bookmark at each reference point for the other reference to target on to.
4 Some bookmarks will be created in a final form before the reference link is established.
5 Other bookmarks will be named but not finalised until later.

I am still puzzled by 'ambiguous references', since I can't follow the steps in the tutorial at that stage, but I now have enough functionality to work with and my dinner is in less danger of buring. Many thanks for the pointer.

cheers
Steve
Mon nom-de-guerre

Post by Mon nom-de-guerre »

Steve Luke's struggle with the manual and tutorial raises an issue which should be addressed. Mellel is so different in many ways from other word processors and becoming more complex; manual help which is up-to-date, crystal clear and unambiguous and does not make assumptions about the user's level of knowledge is essential. With amateurish tutorials and a somewhat confused manual, Mellel may well be losing users who give up in frustration and move on elsewhere. Surely the time has come when Mellel needs to provide professionally written manuals and tutorials.
Dino
ed
Read the guide!

Post by ed »

I think really like videos that show more hands on how to do something that could complement a manual, especially for tricky stuff. And have downloadable documents done in mellel to be able to see how stuff is done. Maybe users of Mellel could help out there, if it isn't copy right material.