Limiting line length & word count configuration

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

michala
New to all this

Limiting line length & word count configuration

Post by michala »

Hello,

I need to limit the number of characters (including spaces) of each line to 29.
How do I do it? How can I see what column each letter is being written in? This is very straightforward in Word. Can Mellel do that also?

Is there a way to customize word count? I am getting paid by the word (literally). Can I calculate my salary (multiply word number by a certain sum?)

Thanks!!!
M.
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Limiting line length & word count configuration

Post by rpcameron »

The features you describe are not available in Mellel. If you need to limit the number of characters per line, I recommend using a text editor, and setting a column width.
— Robert Cameron
Mart°n
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Limiting line length & word count configuration

Post by Mart°n »

michala wrote: I need to limit the number of characters (including spaces) of each line to 29.
How do I do it? How can I see what column each letter is being written in? This is very straightforward in Word. Can Mellel do that also?
There is no option in Mellel that allows you to limit a line ot 29 characters, but you may like to use a workaround. If you chose a monospace font (like Courier, Courier New, Monaco, Bitstream Vera Sans Mono [comes with NeoOffice]) and either increase the font size or increase the page margins (which decreases the content area), you could create a setup in which a line will only hold 29 characters at max. The total character count may still differ, as some words break into the next line if they won’t fit into the current one. The drawback of this setup is, that you only could use that specific font with a regular, italic and bold font face but not different font sizes or different fonts. Also, some people don’t like to look at monospaced fonts all day.
michala wrote: Is there a way to customize word count? I am getting paid by the word (literally). Can I calculate my salary (multiply word number by a certain sum?)
In which way do you like to customize the statistics palette? It currently shows the total word count, so you could (more or less) easily multiply that number (via the dashboard calculator) with your certain sum. Currently it could not be customized to show your total salary and I’m not sure if it’s that motivating if it will (oh no, still 3154841647… words to translate before I could buy my own isle)