auto titles and styles help

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

soliphint
Knows everything, can prove it

auto titles and styles help

Post by soliphint »

Whenever I insert an auto title, then hit Return, the text goes back to a paragraph style that I am not using. I've looked in Auto Titles, edit, and can't find where I can determine the style used after an auto title is inserted. Could someone please direct me to the proper editing place?

Also, I'd like to join the chorus of complaints re: spam. Surely, there must be an easy way to keep these guys out. It is very annoying, to say the least.

Thank you.
Mart°n

Re: auto titles and styles help

Post by Mart°n »

The method to apply a style to Auto-Titles has changed with Mellel 2.5 and is described in the manual (Help > Mellel Guide) on page 200. To apply a character style to your chosen Auto-Title elements, open the “Edit Title flow” window (by clicking the small pen icon in the Auto-Title palette), select the appropriate Level (Level 1…) from the list on the left side of the window, then select (as you select some text) all or one of the element bubbles (Tab) (Curr.#) (Title), open or go to the Character Styles palette and apply a desired character style (by either double clicking on its name or by clicking on the “Apply Style” (the small hand) button located in the Character Styles palette.

Hope this helps.
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

Thanks. I think I know how to style Auto titles.

The problem is that when I insert an Auto Title into my document, then hit return to begin typing text, the paragraph style that is used is different from the one I was using previous to inserting the Auto title. I can manually change it back every time, but I cannot figure out how to make sure that, once an Auto title is inserted, and I begin to type after that, the same paragraph style is used that was being used prior to the insertion of the Auto title.
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

Sorry, I should have read your initial post more detailed. You can edit the style that is used after the current style in several ways of which I will show you one:

The whole “problem” is hidden in a series of settings:

A: You insert a auto-title which will (probably) have a Character Style (let’s say it is called »HeadlineCharacter«) and a Paragraph Style (let’s call it »HeadlineParagraph«)

B: That Paragraph Style may (or may not) have an associated Character Style (HeadlineCharacter in this example) and an associated Next Paragraph Style (CopytextParagraph).

C: This Next Paragraph Style (CopytextParagraph) may also have an associated Character Style (MisteryCharacter) which may be the responsible guy in our story.

To solve your problem, you should first check, if you have a paragraph style applied to your Auto-Title. If this is the case, select that paragraph style from the Paragraph Style palette and click the “Edit Style” button (the small pen)

The “Edit paragraph style” window will pop up. Here you can see the associated character style and the next paragraph style in the lower right area just above the preview section (two drop-down menus).

Here, you could change the next paragraph style setting to the paragraph style that you like to use for your regular text (CopytextParagraph).

As a last step, you should now edit that “CopytextParagraph” paragraph style and change the “associated character style” setting to the character style you like to use for your regular text (CopytextCharacter).

That should do the trick.
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

Thanks for the help. I'll look through this and see if I can figure it out.