Problem with PDF files made using Mellel

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

maxs
New to all this

Problem with PDF files made using Mellel

Post by maxs »

I have encountered a problem when saving some files from Mellel to a PDF format. More specifically, the problem comes when copying text from the PDF and pasting it into another document. The pasted text does not have spaces between words, and is missing some words as well. This problem does not occur when I copy and paste from Pages, whether the PDF was generated using the "Export" or "Print to PDF" functions in Pages. Here's what it looks like:

Written in Pages, Exported to PDF:
Dr. X has written to me requesting this letter in support of his application for XX. Though I am not personally familiar with Dr. X, I am aware of his research and his great achievements from his high quality papers in the field of XXX.

Written in Pages, Printed to PDF:
Dr. X has written to me requesting this letter in support of his application for XX. Though I am not personally familiar with Dr. X, I am aware of his research and his great achievements from his high quality papers in the field of XXX.

Written in Mellel, Printed to PDF:
Dr. Xhaswrittentomerequestingthisletter insupport of hisapplicationfor XX. ThoughI amnot personallyfamiliar withDr. X, I am awareof hisresearchandhisgreat achieXXX.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? What's the fix?

Thanks in advance!
donb
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Problem with PDF files made using Mellel

Post by donb »

I have just tried this with text copied from a PDF made by Mellel and pasted into Pages, Nisus Writer Pro, and Microsoft Word. In all three the words were reproduced correctly.

I copied the text from the PDF opened with Preview. Did you use Preview also? And in what program did you paste the text that came out so malformed?

Don Broadribb
maxs
New to all this

Post by maxs »

I viewed the PDFs in Preview and pasted the text into TextEdit.
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

maxs wrote:I viewed the PDFs in Preview and pasted the text into TextEdit.
No problem here creating a pdf file from Mellel,opening the file in Preview and pasting English-language text into TextEdit.

I did have some difficulties when the text included (in addition to the LtR English) some RtL Hebrew
but
the text was not scrambled or displayed without blanks.

max,
-- are you using Mellel's secondary font option?
-- in which font is your text written? could it be some old, Microsoft font that doesn't work well with OSX?

Janet
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

I have seen the same problem in the past but didn’t know that it was related to Mellel (I’m still not sure, if the problem is limited to PDFs created with Mellel). I could reproduce it on my Machine:

Mellel 2.5 (b29)
Mac OS 10.4.11
PowerBook G4
Preview 3.0.9 (409)
Font: Myriad Pro (OpenType)

The same thing works with Pages ’08 (3.0.2). It also works, if you open the Mellel generated PDF with Acrobat 7, so I’m not sure if Mellel or Preview is the bad guy in this movie.