Auto-titles problem

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

flike
Got the styles thing figured out

Auto-titles problem

Post by flike »

Good afternoon,
I've been experiencing a problem with an auto-title. I have made in my auto-titles set some to use below images and have used rather useful suggestion from this forum. But when I tried to insert a large legend auto-title below an image (about 10 lines or so) the style sets that I have used were attributed just fine but only the 6 first lines would "fit" in the page. The other lines didn't fold over the page border, so that the last line seen seemed endless. Also in the auto-title window that opens when you insert an auto-title and you can type your title there, I started typing but when I reached the end of the window I couldn't see what I was typing, even though the text was being typed (I checked it with copy-paste at textedit).
I wonder if there is a limitation in the number of characters in an auto-title, because that would be a major problem for me since most of my legends are rather large.
Any help from someone who knows about this issue would be appreciated.
Thanks in regards
donbroadribb
Got the styles thing figured out

Re: Auto-titles problem

Post by donbroadribb »

I started typing but when I reached the end of the window I couldn't see what I was typing, even though the text was being typed (I checked it with copy-paste at textedit).
I wonder if there is a limitation in the number of characters in an auto-title, because that would be a major problem for me since most of my legends are rather large.

I tried this out and discovered that there was no problem for me as long as I limited my text to six lines. It is possible to see what you have typed beyond the rectangle provided by the insert auto-title if you use the down arrow key to force the text not shown in the rectangle to be visible. But as soon as you begin to type still more, your newly typed text does not show up in the rectangle unless you again go to the end of the text using the arrow keys.

However, it does appear that Mellel imposes a limit of 6 lines; and also, the 6 lines must be a continuous text. You cannot have more than one paragraph in an autotitle, normally.

The way around this is to type what you can in the auto-title rectangle, and when you reach Mellel's limit of 6 lines, insert the auto-title; and then continue on typing as you wish. Mellel is quite happy to let you continue to type text in the same line in which an autotitle's content appears. There is no way for the reader of the text to know that technically the auto-title ended at some particular word and the text immediately following in the same line was added as ordinary text.

Don Broadribb