over-writing letters

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Bulow
Knows everything, can prove it

over-writing letters

Post by Bulow »

How does one write letters over one another? I don’t mean suprascript, nor 'overwriting' in the sense it is used in the guide, but really writing one over the other, occupying the same vertical space, but one of them lifted above the other. This is often found in Greek papyrus-manuscripts that I have to reproduce. I used to be able to do it easily in the good old Word 5.1. Since then it has become prohibitively difficult in Word using an equation-editor, the use of which apparently requires a diploma I have not got. Up to now I have made these letter combinations on my old and fragile Mac in Word 5.1 and then exported them to my current machine and Word X, but Mellel will not let me paste such things and there surely must be an easier and better way of doing it.
Bülow
jannuss

Re: over-writing letters

Post by jannuss »

Bulow wrote:How does one write letters over one another? I don’t mean suprascript, nor 'overwriting' in the sense it is used in the guide, but really writing one over the other, occupying the same vertical space, but one of them lifted above the other.
I found something that works, but it's pretty messy: use the baseline shift in the Character Appearance palette. If you make the shift big enough, you can get one line to print on top the other.

I better solution, I think, will take longer at first, but should give better results: use one of the font creation tools to make yourself a special font of those letter combinations you need.

Janet
Bulow

Post by Bulow »

The interest in this subject has not been overwhelming, but thanks to Januss, although his solutions were not useable. The solution is in MathMagic, as written in the guide (yes I have read it). Make your superimposed letter in MathMagic (costs about €50), make a fair amount of massage to make it display in Greek, change of style &c, and paste them back into Mellel. It is still easier than doing the same thing in the Equation Editor of Word. But take care:
MATHMAGIC DOES NOT SUPPORT UNICODE
I find it absolute incredible that I cannot buy tobacco for my pipe without having it plastered with futile warnings, while they can sell a program as the latest cry in 2008 and only afterwards admit, as if it were a minor thing, that it is not unicode compatible. I happen, quite by accident, to have an old, non-unicode Greek font that looks like the one I am using now, so I shall be OK as long as this works.
Bülow
Last edited by Bulow on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

Since you mentioned MathMagic, have you tried LaTeXiT? It may work the way you want and it's both free and supports Unicode (as far as I can tell).

LaTeXiT supports LinkBack as well and hopefully Mellel will support LinkBack in the future.
Last edited by macsailor on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
Bulow

Post by Bulow »

Thanks. I have downloaded LaTexIt and, as you say, it is indeed unicode compatible and will write accentuated Greek. I don't yet see how I can choose the font. I must take the time (some other time) to find out how it works, which is not immediately obvious. Too many gadgets that 'seem to be absent from my system'.
Bülow
Bulow

Post by Bulow »

MathMagic have issued a new version (6.1) which is still not unicode compatible. They do, however, answer me that 'we have a plan to support UNICODE, the schedule is not fixed yet. (roughly Oct. 2009 ~ Jun. 2010)'
So, patience.
Bülow