Continuous list numbering?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

rjleland
Got the styles thing figured out

Continuous list numbering?

Post by rjleland »

I'm sure this is a duplicate question, but I've searched for a while and I can't find it (it doesn't help that 'list' is not allowed as a search term). Anyway, I wonder if there is a way to set up numbered lists so that the numbering is continuous throughout a document? I'm looking to make a list that would look something like this without requiring me to tinker with the list palette:

BODY TEXT BODY TEXT BODY TEXT
  • (1) List Item #1
  • (2) List Item #2
  • (3) List item #3

It's not too much trouble to use the "Start at" function on the list palette each time I introduce a new set of list items, but a big problem arises when I've got a really long running list and then decide to go back and insert one near the beginning. This skews the numbering all through the document, and then I've got to go through and fix each one by hand.

Is there anyway to get the running list going, so I don't have to do this?

Thanks for any help.
-RJ
macsailor
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Continuous list numbering?

Post by macsailor »

I have the same problem as you are having and I haven’t found any solution yet. I know that Nisus Writer (both Express & Pro, I think) do have two choices that they call »Continue numbering from previous» and »Restart numbering». This would be great to have also in Mellel.

I created a test for my students and they all complained about that I had forgotten question number 2 since the numbers did not continue from previous question numbering after I had inserted a picture after question number 1.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
chahn

Post by chahn »

Yes, it is possible. I asked a similar question here: http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1684. What you would want to do is make a "list" autotitle tag and have the autotitle formatted like the list level you want. The key is to make your "list" tag at the correct level, so that your lists reset when you want them to and keep counting when you don't.

It's tricky if you want to make lists with multiple levels, because each level will have to be set up as an auto-title independently (as opposed to just using a single list style), but it will function exactly the same--it just takes a little longer to set up.
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

chahn wrote:Yes, it is possible. I asked a similar question here: http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1684. What you would want to do is make a "list" autotitle tag and have the autotitle formatted like the list level you want. The key is to make your "list" tag at the correct level, so that your lists reset when you want them to and keep counting when you don't.

It's tricky if you want to make lists with multiple levels, because each level will have to be set up as an auto-title independently (as opposed to just using a single list style), but it will function exactly the same--it just takes a little longer to set up.
Thanks for the advice.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
rjleland

Post by rjleland »

Hi macsailor and chahn. Thanks for your responses.
Macsailor: I agree this would be great as a feature to add.
Chahn: thanks for this workaround. you're right that it would get pretty tedious if you had lots of nested lists. And it isn't an ideal fix for other reasons. But for my purposes it works fine.

Best,
RJ
grebmar
Already downloaded the guide

Post by grebmar »

I, too, would find such a renumbering system useful. For example, the way lists work now, each item must be a single paragraph. It would be nice to have multiple paragraphs in a single item on the list.
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

Can we think about this for a couple of days?
Ori Redler from RedleX
kcjimmyk
Read the guide!

Post by kcjimmyk »

I have given up and replaced the numbers with characters in the List pallate
e.g. a diamond is level one tag and a dash is level 2 tag and a dot is level 3 tag.

But I would also love to have the capability to use numbers or harvard outlining.
miles11

Post by miles11 »

<<It would be nice to have multiple paragraphs in a single item on the list.>>

I agree with the other posters about continuous numbering.

And multiple paragraphs would be really helpful.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

grebmar wrote:I, too, would find such a renumbering system useful. For example, the way lists work now, each item must be a single paragraph. It would be nice to have multiple paragraphs in a single item on the list.
While not a true paragraph, you can insert a line break to create the impression of multiple paragraphs belonging to a single list item. I do this often, as it also continues the margins of the list item to the "2nd" paragraph.
— Robert Cameron