.mellel -> html

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Stephen Still
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: .mellel -> html

Post by Stephen Still »

Thanks f, that definitely doesn't work — but should be easy to fix. I'll get onto it!

UPDATE: I've fixed your issue — redownload from still.id.au and let me know what you think. Note that the link is not particularly useful in your test document, because the page break is not/cannot be reproduced in HTML (short of producing a new page, I suppose…)

-Stephen.
fbrzvnrnd
Already downloaded the guide

Post by fbrzvnrnd »

UPDATE: I've fixed your issue — redownload from still.id.au and let me know what you think.

Well man, great after the firts test! Great but not perfect: it seems to work fine if I use a "free text" as hyperlink, but if I use the "title of auto title", it is converted as plain test.
Note that the link is not particularly useful in your test document, because the page break is not/cannot be reproduced in HTML (short of producing a new page, I suppose…)
Eh, I see it after I press the UPLOAD button... ;)

Thank you a lot, I'll keep testing it.

f.
Stephen Still

Post by Stephen Still »

fbrzvnrnd wrote:Well man, great after the firts test! Great but not perfect: it seems to work fine if I use a "free text" as hyperlink, but if I use the "title of auto title", it is converted as plain test.
Oops. I may have misinterpreted how to deal with that option. I'll have a look at it.

UPDATE: done. I'm not sure why I thought that you wouldn't want a link there. On reflection it makes sense. I have also added support for image cross-references and the image-title text element.

By the way - you're welcome to email me at stephen at the aforementioned domain if that would be an easier way of communicating without scunging up the forum.

-S
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

Stephen Still wrote:Reiner: none of the cross-reference text is showing up? What kind of cross-references are you using? What exactly is wrong with the exporting of auto-titles?
OK, I tested again with the newest version: Now cross-refs work just as they should. (But yes, they was not showing at all.)

But there are still problems with auto-titles:
  • one of my auto-title levels is starting at "1994" and then increased by one. The result in the html-file is just 1, 2, 3 ... instead of 1994, 1995, 1996 ...
  • the next level restarts at 1 in my Mellel document, but it is only one flow from 1 to 128 and does not restart at any time no matter which higher level auto-title is inserted between.
  • Sometimes text following the auto-titles is not in the next paragraph but deleted completely.
  • one level ist just the auto-number followed by a tab and than normal text follows in the same paragraph. in the html-export there is always a paragraph break between the auto-number and the text.

and another problem: small caps (the otf ones) are exported as normal text.
ah and: markers are not exported at all.

That's all I can find at the moment.

Edit:now you can find an attached Mellel-file wihtin which I marked some things red you should have a look at if you want to have illustrations for the problems I tried to describe above.

Much thanks for your work.
Reiner
Stephen Still

Post by Stephen Still »

Reiner wrote:
  • one of my auto-title levels is starting at "1994" and then increased by one. The result in the html-file is just 1, 2, 3 ... instead of 1994, 1995, 1996 ...
Oops!! This should be relatively easy to fix.
[*]the next level restarts at 1 in my Mellel document, but it is only one flow from 1 to 128 and does not restart at any time no matter which higher level auto-title is inserted between.
This is fixable, but will require thought — it's a bit tricky.
[*]Sometimes text following the auto-titles is not in the next paragraph but deleted completely.
Not sure why this is happening — as far as I can see it shouldn't be. It looks like xsltproc can't see the text child of a c element where there is also an autotitle child element before the text. Either this is a bug in xsltproc, or I am missing something. I'll see what I can dig up.
[*]one level ist just the auto-number followed by a tab and than normal text follows in the same paragraph. in the html-export there is always a paragraph break between the auto-number and the text.[/list]
When I implemented autotitles, I had assumed that they would always be used as headings. I therefore did the semantically correct thing and translated them as h elements, which are block level html elements by default ie they are always a paragraph to themselves. I can try to detect where you are using autotitles in the same paragraph as other text and inline them. I'll need to think about how.
and another problem: small caps (the otf ones) are exported as normal text.
Last time I looked at the issue, there is no easy or generally compatible way of implementing small caps in CSS or html without resorting to Javascript hacks. I will have another look and see if there has been any progress on this.
ah and: markers are not exported at all.
That's deliberate — my view was that they are generally not intended to be part of the final presentation. I can easily fix that if people take a different view.

In summary, you've found some pretty big bugs, which I'm surprised noone mentioned before. I will get on to fixing them ASAP.

Update: I have fixed the small caps issues and added support for number-start-at and number-increment properties for autotitles.

Update 2: I have fixed the missing text issue — it was partly a silly mistake on my part, partly that I didn't think people could/would inline autotitles. Oh well. Block level display for autotitles is still an issue.
Last edited by Stephen Still on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ozean

Post by ozean »

Stephen Still wrote:When I implemented autotitles, I had assumed that they would always be used as headings. I therefore did the semantically correct thing and translated them as h elements, which are block level html elements by default ie they are always a paragraph to themselves.
just as a small comment: it would be great if you could keep the semantics here and default to headings for auto-titles. Of course, if you find a way to work with inline auto-titles too, that would be most excellent. :)
Stephen Still

Post by Stephen Still »

ozean wrote:
Stephen Still wrote:When I implemented autotitles, I had assumed that they would always be used as headings. I therefore did the semantically correct thing and translated them as h elements, which are block level html elements by default ie they are always a paragraph to themselves.
just as a small comment: it would be great if you could keep the semantics here and default to headings for auto-titles. Of course, if you find a way to work with inline auto-titles too, that would be most excellent. :)
Actually, the CSS is very easy; you just use the CSS declaration

Code: Select all

display:inline;
So you end up with:

Code: Select all

<h1 style="display:inline">blah</h1>
Or at least I think so anyway, it's been a while since I have had the occasion to do this.

Detecting where I should putting the h element inline is likely to be considerably more tricky!
ozean

Post by ozean »

Stephen Still wrote:Detecting where I should putting the h element inline is likely to be considerably more tricky!
my guess is: you like tricky! ;)
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

thanks for your great work stephen.

sometimes the problem with the new paragraphs after the auto-numbers is still existent. this inconsistent behaviour is a bit strange, isn't it.
Reiner