Placement of footnotes when using auto-titles

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

joostein
New to all this

Placement of footnotes when using auto-titles

Post by joostein »

In my document I'm using auto-titles for chapters, headings and subheadings. Level 1 = chapter, Level 2 = heading and Level 3 = subheading. When I insert a footnote the note-text is placed on the middle of the page, right above a level 2 auto-title, in stead of at the bottom of the page. Is there a way to make all footnotes appear at the bottom of the page regardless of auto-titles used in the document? I've searched the Mellel manual without any luck so I'm asking here.
ozean
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Placement of footnotes when using auto-titles

Post by ozean »

Strange, this sounds like a bug to me – footnotes should always appear at the bottom of the page. (Or not? Perhaps others can correct me if I’m wrong…)

Maybe you should contact the Redlers with a sample document?
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

could it be that you have inserted a section break?
Reiner
joostein
New to all this

Post by joostein »

Thank you for your suggestions. It seems like it was a mistake made by me. Tried to reproduce the error in a separate document without any luck. I then checked the document with "show invisible characters" selected, and Reiner was right, some section breaks had snuck in after the auto-titles. I don't know how this happened but it is all good now. Thanks for your help!
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

But even with a section break the footnotes should be at the bottom of the page, not somewhere in the middle. I know that's not how things work in the present version of Mellel, but this should definitely change in a future version.
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

Timotheus wrote:But even with a section break the footnotes should be at the bottom of the page, not somewhere in the middle. I know that's not how things work in the present version of Mellel, but this should definitely change in a future version.
If I’m not mistaken, this is a known (for some of us anyway) bug (or misbehaviour) in Mellel. I hope it will be fixed/changed in the next version of Mellel.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Yes, this is an issue that has already been discussed many times. But I'm not sure whether in the view of the developers this is a bug, o rather intended behaviour. Anyway, I too hope this will change in the future.
ealvarez

Post by ealvarez »

Timotheus wrote:Yes, this is an issue that has already been discussed many times. But I'm not sure whether in the view of the developers this is a bug, o rather intended behaviour. Anyway, I too hope this will change in the future.
I hope too because I have this problem (v 2.6.1). I have inserted a section break and my footnote was placed in the middle of the page, even if I specify "at the bottom" of the page in the properties of the footnote. The only thing that works is to send the footnote at the end of the document. But it's not a good option in my case.
Benja
Read the guide!

Post by Benja »

I've just encountered the same bug—footnotes positioned in the middle of the page, just before a section break.

Boy, do I hope this gets fixed in the 2.7 release (along with undo after saving and keyboard shortcuts).

I love Mellel, I really do, but the development timeline is slow compared to other software I use. If there's a bug in OmniFocus or 1Password, for example, it's patched as soon as possible.
matthias

Post by matthias »

I am not sure the Redlers really regard this behaviour as a bug. See Ori post re this issue: http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1331#p7834.

Matthias
ealvarez

Post by ealvarez »

matthias wrote:I am not sure the Redlers really regard this behaviour as a bug. See Ori post re this issue: http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1331#p7834.

Matthias
Thanks! I think I won't wait for a correction soon! : ) I'll figure out how to make things work without doing a "section break" if I need a footnote.