numbering of secondary flow chart elements (Tables, Pictures

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

2chevaux
New to all this

numbering of secondary flow chart elements (Tables, Pictures

Post by 2chevaux »

Hi,
I have one question regarding the numbering function of Mellel. Is it possible to make chapter orientated numbering of secondary flow chart elements (Tables, Pictures).
e.g.
1. Chapter
Table 1.1
Table 1.2
2. Chapter
Table 2.1
3. Chapter
Table 3.1......
I read the Mellel guide and I am working now for several month with the program, but couldn't find out yet if this is possible.
I would appreciate it very much, if somebody could help me with this.
Thank you
Felix
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: numbering of secondary flow chart elements (Tables, Pictures

Post by rpcameron »

In the Edit Auto-Title dialog, drag the "Structure" title flow associated with "tables" to an indent level below chapters. This will force them to restart their numbering when the chapters restart theirs. As far as number goes, you can use the "Prev#" element to add the chapter number to their presentation/display.
— Robert Cameron
pdart
New to all this

Re: numbering of secondary flow chart elements (Tables, Pictures

Post by pdart »

Hi, rp,
I've tried this setup, but it doesn't seem to work:
Chapters set at Level 2. And they are numbering properly.
Figure title flow element below level 2.
Figure title format: FIG. "Prev#1"."Curr#": Title
The result? Figure Curr# is assigned properly, but the "Prev#1" comes out as a 0 in all chapters. So I have (in Chapter 1) "Fig. 0.1: Title", and in Chapter 3 I get Fig. 0.1, Fig. 0.2 . . .
I don't know why I'm not getting "Fig 3.1", "Fig. 3.2", etc. in Chapter 3, which seems to know it is chapter 3. The only Prev# element on my scroll-down list is #1, even if I enter it multiple times. It produces a "0" in every chapter. Mysterious, since other posts here seem to have success with this approach.

I'm using Mellel 2.7.1 build 3 on a 1.67 GHz PowerPC G4 Powerbook.

Paul
tika-tika
Knows everything, can also explain

Re: numbering of secondary flow chart elements (Tables, Pict

Post by tika-tika »

This is several years after the original post, but this works well. The trick is to move the Table/ Image / Figure structure not just under the chapter level header but under the next level below it. Then refer to Previous #2 and you get the chapter number. Just placing it under the Chapter level and using Previous #1 results in "0". Make sure to check "Reset numbering with higher level flow" for numbering to restart each chapter.