Bookends Footnote Font Changes

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

human657
New to all this

Bookends Footnote Font Changes

Post by human657 »

I am trying to use Bookends to insert citations into the footnotes of my Mellel document. Whenever I scan the document I get different fonts in the footnotes than my default note style set. All that I need is for the footnotes to be a consistent font but this seems to be unbelievably hard to do. When I try to edit the style set after I have scanned the document it seems to make the problem even worse.

I have have read several posts on this issue and read the manuals for both programs as much as I can but none of the things I have tried have been able to resolve it for me.

In Mellel preferences I have told it to make the default style for everything imported from Bookends Times New Roman 10 pt.
I have also told Bookends to use the SAME font when exporting all of my refferences. yet somehow, no matter what I try, I get some 10 pt. font, some 9 pt...... There doesn't seem to be a way for me to just select all of the footnotes so that I can batch change the style. Even when I try and go through and select each note one at a time the style change seems to have no effect on the Bookends citation.

PS
I've been beating my head against the wall over both Mellel and Bookends for the better part of 24 hours. Please help if you can.

I'm trying to upload a sample of the file here, but the Mellel files are greyed out and Firefox won't accept a ".zip" file. What am I doing wrong?
human657
New to all this

Re: Bookends Footnote Font Changes

Post by human657 »

To clarify:

When I click on the note to check it's paragraph/character style, Mellel indicates that the notes are all in my "footnote" style BUT the characters are different sizes (the Author is in 12 pt and the title is in 10 pt. even though Mellel indicates that they are both in the same style). I just can't, for the life of me figure out what else to try.
strongbow
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by strongbow »

just to clarify, have you set Mellel as word processor in Bookends' preferences?

Cheers, strongbow
ozean
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by ozean »

I would first think about re-checking your settings in Mellel. I will attach a screenshot to show how I have set things up:
Picture 1.png
These settings are for the bibliography, of course, so they should not directly affect your in-text citations. But I would still recommend to make sure that you have chosen the correct style set.

One other setting that I would check is the Bibliography font use part of Bookends’ “Scan & Bib” preferences.
Picture 2.png
Hm, I guess that and checking that your paragraph style–character style connection is set correctly is all that I can think of right now.

PS: If Firefox makes problems with a .zip upload, why not try Safari, Camino or Opera?
ed
Read the guide!

Post by ed »

ozean wrote:I would first think about re-checking your settings in Mellel. I will attach a screenshot to show how I have set things up:
Picture 1.png
These settings are for the bibliography, of course, so they should not directly affect your in-text citations. But I would still recommend to make sure that you have chosen the correct style set.

One other setting that I would check is the Bibliography font use part of Bookends’ “Scan & Bib” preferences.
Picture 2.png
Hm, I guess that and checking that your paragraph style–character style connection is set correctly is all that I can think of right now.

PS: If Firefox makes problems with a .zip upload, why not try Safari, Camino or Opera?
Hi Ozean, I have had problem with setting the style of the Bibliography. When scanning the bibliography in mellel it creates a bibliography in the end of the document which i also want. The problem is that I want to have the same typefont but I don't seen to understand how to get that. See now in your screenshoot Bookends/preferences/bibliography that you have chosen a style set. I have default set but cannot change it. How do you change the style set?

ed
ed
Read the guide!

Post by ed »

Just showing a screen shot. Can't change the Style set to anything else.
ozean

Post by ozean »

If you look into the section “Style Set” of the menu bar in Mellel: do you actually have other style sets? Have you tried to create other style sets, and then to set them in die Bibliography dialogue?

If you cannot assign new style sets in Mellel, then I guess something with Mellel must be wrong. In this case, I would
  1. Re-download and install Mellel
  2. Move away the Mellel preferences file “com.redlex.mellel.plist” in the Preferences folder of your home folder’s Library
  3. Move away the Mellel folder inside the Application Support folder in your home folder’s Library
  4. Restart Mellel
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

Actually, if you'll click on "Plain" under the "Replace:" window, you'll see that you can alter the styles; they are no longer greyed out. You can do this with every style set.

If you only have the Default Set, then you haven't created any others.