Getting rid of the line in the compact view?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Jake
New to all this

Getting rid of the line in the compact view?

Post by Jake »

Hi,

Is there a way to disable the line that appears between pages in Mellel's compact view (see the attached screenshot for an example)? I've looked through the Mellel Guide as well as through most of the menu options; the most obvious place for it would be Show -> Page Break in the lower left corner, but that appears to function solely for manual page breaks.

Any help / thoughts would be much appreciated!
Mellel_line2.jpg
donbroadribb
Got the styles thing figured out

Re: Getting rid of the line in the compact view?

Post by donbroadribb »

I wonder whether you would be better off using Full Screen view, which shows no lines. The purpose of compact view is to help out users who have small screens...

Don Broadribb
Nick Sloan
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Nick Sloan »

I could not agree more with the OP, even though it appears to have taken me nearly five years to say so.
I do seem to remember having a discussion about this when compact view first appeared, but the thinking was (I believe) that since Mellel was a print-centric word processor, the user should always be aware of page breaks.
I disagree: Mellel view gives an excellent preview of the printed result, but the whole point of Compact view is that such considerations are removed. I find it seriously disruptive to clear thought to have a heavy line breaking my text at intervals. Please could it at least be made optional In the Show menu)?

(And incidentally, unless I am missing something, the line still appears in full screen.)

This may seem a small thing, but in my periodic comparisons between Mellel and NWP it counts for me as a significant factor.
harryhoffner
Read the guide, knows everything

Post by harryhoffner »

I would favor the optional removal of the page break line. For me, Mellel view's objectionable feature is not the page break indicators but the left, right, top and bottom margins, which take up valuable screen real estate. In composing books, etc., I often have other documents side by side with the composing text, and cannot use Mellel View. But I still need to know where the page breaks will be. So yes, optional, but not just removing it altogether.
Bruno
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by Bruno »

As far as I can remember, there used to be a third viewing mode — Draft View— around version 1.8.5 and it did not have the page division line. I second the request to have an option in the View Menu to show/hide the black page division line as it interrupts the text flow in the draft writing process. Additionally, there should also be an option to show/hide the Header and Footer in the Compact View and Full Screen mode in the View menu so that one can fully focus on the main body of text.