Mellel 2.7 around the corner...

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

verma
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Mellel 2.7 around the corner...

Post by verma »

Oreny wrote:Were talking about one big corner ey?
the corner being 10.5.8 perhaps?
Oreny
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by Oreny »

verma wrote:
Oreny wrote:Were talking about one big corner ey?
the corner being 10.5.8 perhaps?
Yeah, 'im sure developers worldwide are now readying their software after the robust bluetooth fix that the great 10.5.8 update holds within. :lol:
verma

Post by verma »

Oh dear - that image floating is surely very, very nice!
nigel
Already downloaded the guide

Post by nigel »

I am very happy for all those who need text to flow around images.
I am also pleased that the implementation has been well done.
For me it is of little use. Even though I use figures I am adept and using tables, etc. to embed them in Mellel.
I lust after track changes.
This is so very important to me. It must be importance for anyone else who write in groups.
I have been using Mellel since the beginning and do all of my writing in it.
However, the absence of track changes has caused me to have to pour text into Pages or even Word for the end stage of some group projects.
Please tell me that track changes is one of the modifications in 2.7.

Thanks,
Nigel
aechallu

Post by aechallu »

I completely agree with Nigel. Mellel is becoming irrelevant to me because of the deficiencies in the roundtrip of documents with the rest of the world (including track changes). It's a shame because it really is a good program.
kga1978
Read the guide!

Post by kga1978 »

I agree with all that track changes is a sorely missed feature - however I have to ask you this. Is there ANY program out there that can really - as in really REALLY - do track changes??? Word, for sure, is one that cannot! It is so badly implemented and the program chokes on everything that it just doesn't work....

The future is surely track changes with real time updates, collaborative editing of the same document at the same time (e.g. Google Docs), etc...?!

But yes - please let us see track changes in Mellel, just don't make it 'Word like'.
nigel

Post by nigel »

Track changes please...please.
Am I really the only one hungry for this feature?
Happy for those who need flowing text but track changes is key for group writing/editing.

Thanks,
Nigel Atkinson
nigel

Post by nigel »

Didn't mean to ignore the others that mentioned track changes. For some reason your comments did not show up.
The track changes in Pages is really pretty nice. I wouldn't mind if Mellel's track changes worked like that.
Nigel
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

For me, it's a comments feature, which I've been told is in the offing. But I'm still very happy using Mellel for more personal writing projects and Pages to exchange documents with M$ Word users. Not sure if I'll ever upgrade Office again, especially if other applications are sufficiently compatible with Word.
raymond

Post by raymond »

I am writing in Mellel all my works. But when it comes to collaborative writing , I need to copy my documents to NeoOffice, to enable the other side to follow on his Mac Word.

So, Track Changes would be very welcomed, and for sure better than the other software implementation.
mkhabbaz
New to all this

Post by mkhabbaz »

raymond wrote:I am writing in Mellel all my works. But when it comes to collaborative writing , I need to copy my documents to NeoOffice, to enable the other side to follow on his Mac Word.

So, Track Changes would be very welcomed, and for sure better than the other software implementation.
I'm adding my voice to 'Collaborative Writing'. Versioning is welcomed as well. It would be very interesting to see the unique way Mellel will accomplish these two features.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Like daiyi, I use Mellel for my personal projects, and Pages, including its track changes feature, for my communication with MS Word users. Works very well.

For this reason, in my case track changes in Mellel is not an urgent desideratum. I'd rather prefer indexing, better footnote handling and other things.
Jake-1

Post by Jake-1 »

Track changes is also an essential feature for me: although I write some longer documents in Mellel because of its stability, not having track changes is a major problem as soon as I need editing.
verma

Post by verma »

On the subject of "track changes", I don't really follow. There's one good thing about it, as far as I see it, and that's collaborative editing. But that would require everyone has Mellel (editing in anything other than Mellel or LaTeX is prone to cause endless frustration...), and that's not the case, so it will require Export as... Problems will happen when people use various software programmes with commenting/editing and such and reimporting all of that into Mellel. If it can work, I'd be delighted. But I doubt it's feasible.

Marking? I defined character style variations and colours for my notes/comments. They export well and my students do a pretty good job at seeing what's theirs and what's mine, but for a few daltonists, colours alone are not a great help. With Mellel 2.7 you can now even define an autotitle for comments (inside a paragraph) - even handier to find your comments fast.
Jake-1

Post by Jake-1 »

On the subject of "track changes", I don't really follow. There's one good thing about it, as far as I see it, and that's collaborative editing. But that would require everyone has Mellel (editing in anything other than Mellel or LaTeX is prone to cause endless frustration...), and that's not the case, so it will require Export as... Problems will happen when people use various software programmes with commenting/editing and such and reimporting all of that into Mellel. If it can work, I'd be delighted. But I doubt it's feasible.
To some extent that's true, but the three collaborators who most often view my work all use Macs. I could impinge on them to buy Mellel, or, hell just buy the licenses myself and get the benefit of Mellel's stability as well as track changes.

One thing I would note is that, at least for me, I don't need the elaborate individual authors/comments/notes set up that Word has; something like Lotus WordPro's cross out/suggestion feature would be enough.