Snow Leopard Compatibility

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

russdquinn
New to all this

Snow Leopard Compatibility

Post by russdquinn »

Just wondering if there are any known issues regarding Mellel and Snow Leopard compatibility?
Should we just be able to smoothly upgrade when it comes out in the next month or so?
Russ Quinn
gpolberd
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Snow Leopard Compatibility

Post by gpolberd »

This is something I would dearly like to know before I purchase Snow Leopard. If it doesn't work with Mellel, I want to wait for a bit before I upgrade. Would love to hear from the Redlers about this, since Snow Leopard is available Friday.

Cheers.
ringdal2
New to all this

Post by ringdal2 »

I have already pre-ordered Snow Leopard, but would like to know more about compability befor installing :?:
gpolberd

Post by gpolberd »

As of today, August 25th, I'm told, compatibility is still an issue. Ori stated that they're "working to OK this in a few days and will definitely intend to include any compatibility adjustment with the upcoming (beginning of next month) version 2.7."

So, if you can wait, do. I'm going to.
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

That's always good news to hear. SL won't ship until this Friday, so hopefully the wait won't be too long for Mellel to work with 10.6.
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

russdquinn wrote:Just wondering if there are any known issues regarding Mellel and Snow Leopard compatibility?
Should we just be able to smoothly upgrade when it comes out in the next month or so?
I'll notify about that more publicly in a new thread...
Ori Redler from RedleX
chering
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by chering »

Ori Redler wrote:
russdquinn wrote:Just wondering if there are any known issues regarding Mellel and Snow Leopard compatibility?
I'll notify about that more publicly in a new thread...
Mellel does not even open since intalling sl. All I get is "Mellel quit unexpectedly". (Could not sort out the problem with usual procedures.) Luckily there is Pages. Would be really good to have this "new thread".
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

I'm currently running Snow Leopard and Mellel 2.6.1 (build 2), and have no problems whatsoever. Perhaps it's because I did a clean install of Snow Leopard onto a freshly wiped HD (without any 10.5 in between), and a fresh install of Mellel and recreated my Style Sets from scratch.

I believe any issues other users are having may be left over from the upgrade, and not due to Snow Leopard itself.
— Robert Cameron
chering

Post by chering »

rpcameron wrote:I'm currently running Snow Leopard and Mellel 2.6.1 (build 2), and have no problems whatsoever. Perhaps it's because I did a clean install of Snow Leopard onto a freshly wiped HD (without any 10.5 in between), and a fresh install of Mellel and recreated my Style Sets from scratch.

I believe any issues other users are having may be left over from the upgrade, and not due to Snow Leopard itself.
Thanks for your input. I got Mellel back the way you described but without having to clean install sl. However, Mellel does not seem to be at ease with my previous styles and preferences which I have been trying to bring back via my mellel documents and "global" in the style pane. Crashes when I try to save them.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

chering wrote:I got Mellel back the way you described but without having to clean install sl. However, Mellel does not seem to be at ease with my previous styles and preferences which I have been trying to bring back via my mellel documents and "global" in the style pane. Crashes when I try to save them.
Based on this, it sounds like the problem might be corruption in the Mellel documents themselves. Have you tried recreating the styles without any documents open, and then opening the documents so they might read from the system's styles instead of those in the documents?

(I also ran a check to see if there were problems with existing documents causing issues with Mellel under Snow Leopard when they are opened, but experienced nothing. I opened several documents from the past 4 years or so that I have created with Mellel, including those saved before Mellel switched to a bundle format. I had no issues opening anything, except for some minor font substitutions because I had yet to install some fonts.)
— Robert Cameron
chering

Post by chering »

It is my styles folder which causes the problem. I will redo styles as you suggested. Thanks for your help.
ramu_berlin
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by ramu_berlin »

Could anyone be so nice to explain a little more detailed how to recreate/reimport/redo/rescue personal settings and formats after a clean install without going manually through all the format dialogues? This would be great and a lot of help as I have no clue how to prevent my install from crashing. (i »cleaned« the user fonts etc. by terminal, but that didn't help...)

ralf
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

ramu_berlin wrote:Could anyone be so nice to explain a little more detailed how to recreate/reimport/redo/rescue personal settings and formats after a clean install without going manually through all the format dialogues? This would be great and a lot of help as I have no clue how to prevent my install from crashing. (i »cleaned« the user fonts etc. by terminal, but that didn't help...)
Well, your Style Sets, Auto-Title setups and other such settings are all stored in ~/Library/Application Support/Mellel/. Your preferences are in ~/Library/Preferences/com.redlex.mellel.plist. You can make copies of those files, and restore them after you do a clean install, and you will have your Mellel installation just as it was before.

However, if your problem is indeed related to corruption in those settings, then I would presume that your only sure form of recourse is to delete them and recreate them from scratch. Perhaps Eyal can chime in with something less destructive. Have you tried emailing them at support@redlers.com?
— Robert Cameron
ramu_berlin
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by ramu_berlin »

first off, thanks a lot, will see if that helps. (i think i tried it partly, but i have to check it again!)

ralf