Keep lines together in footnotes does not work

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

eleuteruiz
Knows everything, can prove it

Keep lines together in footnotes does not work

Post by eleuteruiz »

I am trying to have 2 lines kept together at the end of paragraph in footnotes, but without success? Can anyone figure out what I am doing wrong?
I select paragraph style (Note text), edit it, select "Keep lines together" at start/end of paragraph, and write "2" in "lines at end". But I keep having a single line moved to the next page :( . Anything else I should try?

Thank you
Last edited by eleuteruiz on Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eleuterio
eleuteruiz

Re: Keep lines together in footnotes does not work

Post by eleuteruiz »

Now I see there was another thread on the same issue, without answer (http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php? ... her#p11623).

I'l try with direct support from Redlex.
Last edited by eleuteruiz on Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eleuterio
eleuteruiz

Post by eleuteruiz »

I got an immediate response from Redlex:
Keep with and widows and orphans paragraph attributes don't work in footnotes because of the complexity that this constraint brings to text layout. You can, however, choose that footnotes will always stay in one piece or that they split only on paragraph boundaries (so no paragraphs are split), do this by choosing Insert->Note->Edit Note attributes and setting the "May Split" attribute to "Between Paragraphs"
It is rather frustrating to know that a feature that was supposed to work in fact it is not working. Word does this, but it doesn't handle Unicode, so it is not a choice either. My only chance is hoping that this feature (which in fact is not a new one) may be added soon.

Does anyone else find this also important?
Eleuterio
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

I find the answer strange, actually — I would have thought that allowing notes to split at all would be just as complex as allowing them to split with keep options.

DRM
ealvarez

Post by ealvarez »

Important? Surely! It explains (and maybe solve!) the problem I recently have. What I don't understand however is that the footnote height limit was set to 100% and, even if it used about only 20% it split on the next page (note : I had two streams of notes).
eleuteruiz

Post by eleuteruiz »

It seems to be part of the same limitation. You can only choose either notes do not split at all or that they split in paragraphs. Otherwise it will split anywhere.

Keep options must be more complex, but I didn't think it would be so difficult for the Redlers after all they have already accomplished with Mellel. Sad.
Eleuterio
redlers
Site Admin

Post by redlers »

eleuteruiz wrote:It seems to be part of the same limitation. You can only choose either notes do not split at all or that they split in paragraphs. Otherwise it will split anywhere.

Keep options must be more complex, but I didn't think it would be so difficult for the Redlers after all they have already accomplished with Mellel. Sad.
Just saw this, via a referal - there is a problem here that is very difficult to solve and, contrary to what may seem, it is not solved with MS Word. That is, MS Word simply priorities: there can be three priority items:
[*]The keep-with options in the text.
[*]Note-reference to note link.
[*]The keep-with options in the notes.

There is no way to keep all three at the same priority level - because there are certain situations that will cause the application to get into an infinite loop and crash. When Mellel tries to layout the text, it needs to have a definite starting point. For example, it lays one paragraph, sees how the notes referred to from this paragraph fit, and then go on, until there is no room left in the page and it needs to decide whether and how to split the last paragraph. Mellel must assume that the footnote is a known quantity and where it can split -- but it cannot handle a conditional situation for both the text and the note.

Neither can MS Word -- what it does is simply to split the note reference and the note - it has the reference to the note on one page and the note on another. Of the three mentioned, you can only pick two, but not the first two.
ealvarez

Post by ealvarez »

Thanks! It helps to understand all the complexity behind a word processor. :D
bluestem
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by bluestem »

Opposite problem, I think. I have long footnotes. Wind up with too much whitespace in the body of the document. I can't get the notes to split. I've checked the box "split from reference" but nothing.

I want my footnotes to split and go onto the next page; how do I do that?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
- Margaret Mead -
ozean

Post by ozean »

Have you checked the paragraph style that you apply to your footnotes? It should not "keep lines together" and things like that…