For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Nimbus
New to all this

Problem with formatting reference symbol

Post by Nimbus »

Hi there!
I have a problem with the reference symbol:

What I want to do: Create a reference symbol of a footnote that isn't superscript (because I find it a bit too small), but that is still a little bit elevated from the main text.
What I did so far: I created a character style that looks just the way I wanted (smaller fontsize, baseline shift up) and applied it in the note attributes sheet to the reference symbol and the note symbol (without checking the superscript box).
What happened: The note symbol at the bottom of the page looks perfect, the reference symbol in the text, however, is smaller but has no baseline shift anymore, which makes it hard to detect it as footnote when reading the text.

Now my question: Did I do something wrong or is this a bug? (I'm working with OS X 5.8 and Mellel 2.7.1)

I'm very thankful for suggestions!
Benja
Read the guide!

Re: Problem with formatting reference symbol

Post by Benja »

Hi Nimbus,

Try this.

While the cursor is located in the body of your document, go to the drop down menu Insert > Note > Edit note attributes…

Make sure that your preferred character style is listed for *both* 'Reference symbol' (the one in the text) and 'Note symbol' (the number that leads the footnote text itself).

Editing footnote styles using the Edit Style Sets… panel seems to lead to problems sometimes. The best way to edit a foot/endnote style is to use the entry under the Insert menu.
Nimbus
New to all this

Post by Nimbus »

Hi Benja

Thank you very much for your answer.
Unfortunately, your suggentions haven't helped. In fact, the way you suggested to solve the problem is exactly how I did it in the first place (i.e. I didn't use Style Sets, but went over Insert > Note > Edit note attributes).

It seems to me that Mellel just does not take over the option "baseline shift" of the Character Style I created when it is assigned to the reference symbol and note symbol...

By the way, I'm using Mellel in German. Could that be of any significance to the problem?
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

Nimbus wrote:Hi there!
I have a problem with the reference symbol:

What I want to do: Create a reference symbol of a footnote that isn't superscript (because I find it a bit too small), but that is still a little bit elevated from the main text.
What I did so far: I created a character style that looks just the way I wanted (smaller fontsize, baseline shift up) and applied it in the note attributes sheet to the reference symbol and the note symbol (without checking the superscript box).
What happened: The note symbol at the bottom of the page looks perfect, the reference symbol in the text, however, is smaller but has no baseline shift anymore, which makes it hard to detect it as footnote when reading the text.

Now my question: Did I do something wrong or is this a bug? (I'm working with OS X 5.8 and Mellel 2.7.1)

I'm very thankful for suggestions!
This sounds like a bug. It's on our bug list and to be fixed soon.
Ori Redler from RedleX
Benja
Read the guide!

Post by Benja »

Sorry it didn't work, Nimbus. Glad Ori has it noted as a possible bug.