cross reference in header

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

fbrzvnrnd
Already downloaded the guide

cross reference in header

Post by fbrzvnrnd »

Is there a way to put a cross reference in header?

Thank you.

f.
DylanMuir
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: cross reference in header

Post by DylanMuir »

No; it's a limitation of Mellel.

DRM
fbrzvnrnd

Post by fbrzvnrnd »

Thank you for the answer... sigh.
A request and suggestion for Ori and mellel team: I know mellel is not for internet html pages, but the e-book devices now are a concrete way to read and handle books. Hyperlinks in text, header and footer are real useful for who is building e-books with mellel, as other format export options (epub). It is a pity that I have to develope e-book using other (bad) programs 'cause I can not put a 'index' hyperlink in header with mellel...

f.
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by rpcameron »

fbrzvnrnd wrote:A request and suggestion for Ori and mellel team: I know mellel is not for internet html pages, but the e-book devices now are a concrete way to read and handle books. Hyperlinks in text, header and footer are real useful for who is building e-books with mellel, as other format export options (epub). It is a pity that I have to develope e-book using other (bad) programs 'cause I can not put a 'index' hyperlink in header with mellel...
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the ePub format, because Mellel is definitely not the best tool for creating eBooks in ePub format. There are other tools (calibre is one that comes to mind immediately) that are better suited to the task.

ePub is actually made up of three different standards: Open Publication Structure (OPS) 2.0, Open Publication Format (OPF) 2.0, and Open Container Format (OCF) 1.0.

OPS is essentially an XHTML document that marks up the text of the eBook. All of the text can either be in one large XML file, or it can be broken up into multiple files, such as one per chapter. OPF is essentially an XML manifest file that describes the eBook, the order of the OPS files and their relation to one another, and what other files may be used as a substitution (such as preferring PDF versions of the eBook, but if the reader does not understand PDF, then use the OPS version). Lastly, OCF is the ePub packaging format. It is essentially a zip file, with its internal structure laid out in a particular manner, constructed to a certain standard, with an additional manifest file detailing its internal file-structure.

Because of all of these disparate components that make up the ePub format (or, likely, any eBook format), it is unlikely that Mellel will ever support output to those formats. I would suggest looking for dedicated eBook software (such as calibre previously mentioned), and using RTF or XHTML as your interim formats between Mellel and your publishing tool of choice.
— Robert Cameron
fbrzvnrnd

Post by fbrzvnrnd »

rpcameron wrote: I'm not sure if you're familiar with the ePub format, because Mellel is definitely not the best tool for creating eBooks in ePub format.

Yes, actually I work with mellel and I use the mellel-html converter to convert it to html and after in mobipocket or epub. But the epub is not so good like pdf, so I need to have books in epub and pdf. Actually there is no tools that have good format-style as mellel, and I'm still trying to use mellel for my books, 'cause other programs like neooffice have a dirty support of hyperlink and format-styles. I tryed ragtime too, but it have not automatic titles for header, and his html is not good for mobipocket creator.

Anyway, the hyperlinked pdf and formats like epub will become more and more important that a simple print on a paper-printer. I only suggest mellel team to think about this in time (and yes, have a hyperlink in header could be a basic feature for this)

f.