Way OT; Could someone translate a short phrase to Hebrew?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Fire Angel
Read the guide!

Way OT; Could someone translate a short phrase to Hebrew?

Post by Fire Angel »

I promise this is a one-off, but I know of no better place to ask this, and it's a very short phrase. It isn't essential, but I'd like the modern Hebrew translation of the phrase "Moon Horse Squadron". I'm designing a squadron badge for use filming a script apparently featuring a fictitious Israeli fighter squadron, and although it looks fine without text on it I think it might look better with the text. My only fluent language is English and I don't feel comfortable trusting Google translate, automated translation being what it is...

Thanks for any assistance, ignore if I'm out of order.
Old Chinese proverb:

The man who does not make mistakes
usually does not make anything.
jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Way OT; Could someone translate a short phrase to Hebrew?

Post by jannuss »

I;ve found a translation site that does a pretty reasonabie job

http://www.stars21.com/
http://www.stars21.com/translator/engli ... ebrew.html

Their translation will be as good as any [it's not a phrase that really works in Hebrew]

טייסת סוס הירח

Janet
jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by jannuss »

Fire Angel wrote:I'm designing a squadron badge for use filming a script apparently featuring a fictitious Israeli fighter squadron, and although it looks fine without text on it I think it might look better with the text.
One thing I should mention: Israeli fighter quadroons do not have names . . . if you want your film to be authentic, you'll drop the "Moon Horse" idea altogether.

Janet
Fire Angel
Read the guide!

Post by Fire Angel »

jannuss wrote:
Fire Angel wrote:I'm designing a squadron badge for use filming a script apparently featuring a fictitious Israeli fighter squadron, and although it looks fine without text on it I think it might look better with the text.
One thing I should mention: Israeli fighter quadroons do not have names . . . if you want your film to be authentic, you'll drop the "Moon Horse" idea altogether.

Janet
That's a puzzling assertion because it is contradicted by what is found on the Israeli Air Force web site, where they use names for squadrons as well as the numbers; indeed in the history texts the names are used far more than the numbers. For example the 190th squadron is known as "The Magic Touch Squadron", on the IAF web site; the 110th squadron is known as "The Knights of the North" etc. I doubt that there is an air force in the world that doesn't name squadrons, and even if in some cases they aren't official names, the members of a squadron always give themselves a name sooner or later and use it in preference to a number. In any case only a few newly formed squadrons have no names on the IAF web site, and I expect they will name themselves within a year or two.

It's not my film by the way, I'm just designing a few of the CG models that are to be used in it. There is even doubt about whether or not it will be finished, but as they are paying me for my part of the work I won't mind too much if it never makes it to the screen.

Thanks for the translation, I didn't think automated translations were to be trusted, but if filtered through someone such as yourself who knows the language I guess they are OK.
Old Chinese proverb:

The man who does not make mistakes
usually does not make anything.
Marsilius
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Marsilius »

How about "Diamond Head." Perhaps someone can translate this phallic reference to Israeli pilots. :wink:
Best,
Marsilius
redlers
Site Admin

Post by redlers »

Fire Angel wrote:I promise this is a one-off, but I know of no better place to ask this, and it's a very short phrase. It isn't essential, but I'd like the modern Hebrew translation of the phrase "Moon Horse Squadron". I'm designing a squadron badge for use filming a script apparently featuring a fictitious Israeli fighter squadron, and although it looks fine without text on it I think it might look better with the text. My only fluent language is English and I don't feel comfortable trusting Google translate, automated translation being what it is...

Thanks for any assistance, ignore if I'm out of order.
With reference to other notes here too: all squadrons have nick-names, but some are less inspired and simply note the function or the tool (like the "Hawkeye squadron".

It might be useful to note that most squadron's names have something to do with either colour or function -- combat fighters have something with knight, eagle (actually, vulture), double tail (F-15), and so on. Horse is more becoming a transportation unit. That said, the best translation would probably be:

טייסת סוס הירח
Tah-yeh-set Soos Ha-yah-Rai-akh