Endnotes with two columns

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

macula
Knows everything, can also explain

Endnotes with two columns

Post by macula »

Hello,

I need to have my notes placed at the end of the document (endnotes). Most of my endnotes are very short bibliographic references, such as

Schachter, Das Drama des Ursatzes, 210.

So it would make sense to use a two-column section for the notes instead of wasting an entire line per note. I fail to find out how to do this, however—I have created the appropriate notes style, and a two-column section in the Styles Editor, but I am unable to change the notes area to any section style other than the default single column. Could any one enlighten me?

Thank you.
Flo
Read the guide!

Re: Endnotes with two columns

Post by Flo »

This just worked, but it is not a very elegant solution: Place the cursor at the very end of your text before your endnotes, i.e. either at the end of the textbody or at the end of the bibliography (don't place the cursor inside the first endnote, but at the end of the preceding text). Then insert a section break (Abschnittswechsel; option-cmd-L) and then choose that section style you created that includes two columns. The endotes should now be listed in two columns.

But: This generates an "unbalanced" layout: in the right column, the endnotes start from the very top of the column. In the left column, the first thing is an "ordinary" paragraph, followed by the first endnote. I don't know how to get rid of that paragraph (if it is possible at all). If there's no text in this paragraph, for a reader this looks like the endnotes in the left column "start" at a lower point than in the right column for no apparent reason. So you might want to use that paragraph for a short note or introduction to the endnote section (or maybe as "title" for the endnote section).
macula
Knows everything, can also explain

Re: Endnotes with two columns

Post by macula »

Thanks very much—that's not perfect but a good start indeed.