Find and Replace question

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

soliphint
Knows everything, can prove it

Find and Replace question

Post by soliphint »

I have a fairly long manuscript in which I must edit all the footnotes. In the footnote, the superscript number is followed immediately by the citation. I have to insert a space between the superscript number and the text that follows.

My question is - is there a "Find and Replace" way to do this so that I won't have to edit each of the 500+ footnotes individually?

Thank you.
jannuss

Re: Find and Replace question

Post by jannuss »

I don't use footnotes, so I may have this all wrong
but
shouldn't you be dealing with this problem inside the footnote format definition: Style/Edit Style Sets/Notes/Footnotes

Janet
florestan
New to all this

Post by florestan »

Just to make sure that I understand your question correctly – is the problem that there's no space at all between the number and your footnote text?

If that's the case, jannuss is right. Go to Insert > Note > Edit note attributes... and choose the note style you're using (probably the one called "Footnote"). Find the section called "Note symbol" and check how the format is set. I personally use the "#. + Tab" as it inserts a decent space between the number and the footnote text. Remember to save the style before clicking ok.

Hope this helps!
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

For some reason, these suggestions don't work; the footnoted turn out to either be center aligned, or too distant from the note number. I wonder if there is a way to customize the look, so that one could customize as #[space]note text?
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

The reason your text appears so far from the number if you choose "#.[tab]" most likely has to do with the paragraph style you have assigned to your note text. Create a new paragraph style for your footnote text, assign a proper tab stop to where you want the text stream to begin, and assign that paragraph style to the note text.

Likewise, the centered text is probably also due to errant paragraph style being assigned to your note text.
— Robert Cameron
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

I think that took care of the problem. Thanks very much.