Any updates coming up?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

macula
Knows everything, can also explain

Any updates coming up?

Post by macula »

Hello folks,

I wonder, what is the average frequency of Mellel updates—i.e. non-trivial updates, excluding for example those that merely restore compatibility with a new version of Bookends.

This is good software already, but like all software needs a spinning development cycle to stay alive, both technically and in the users consciousness.

I have not subscribed to the beta release channel (perhaps I should)—how does the frequency of release betas differ from that of stable versions?

I am somewhat concerned, especially considering the "free updates for 2-years" business model, which would have been fairer if the cycle had a tempo similar to that of the Mac scene in general.

Thank you.
ealvarez
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Any updates coming up?

Post by ealvarez »

Surprising that you haven't had any answers! I would appreciate to have a "roadmap" too :). Mellel is really great for my use but for one missing feature (line numbering).

It seems to me that the Redlers take the time to make big steps forward. However, sometimes, small steps are useful too. For me, 2.7.3 was a great help even if it had only one feature! :D
daiyi
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Any updates coming up?

Post by daiyi »

ealvarez wrote:Surprising that you haven't had any answers! I would appreciate to have a "roadmap" too :). Mellel is really great for my use but for one missing feature (line numbering).

It seems to me that the Redlers take the time to make big steps forward. However, sometimes, small steps are useful too. For me, 2.7.3 was a great help even if it had only one feature! :D
I'm anxious, too, as some features that were rumored to be forthcoming would be most welcome. For collaborating with others, I have been using Pages and its Track Changes feature. It's pretty nice actually, and if Apple can make it work with MS Word, then at least we know it's not impossible. Although it's not absolutely imperative for me to have such a feature in Mellel, I wouldn't mind seeing it either. Given their past track record, I'm confident Redlers would do it right.