In case of emergency…

For all things Mellel

Moderators: redlers, Eyal Redler, Ori Redler

kcjimmyk
Already downloaded the guide
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:10 pm

Re: In case of emergency…

Post by kcjimmyk » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:57 pm

gpolberd wrote: Jim,

I didn't think asking that we be careful about how things were said was "off topic," certainly not for those in the community who might have been offended. It would have mattered to you had you been, I'm sure.
In response to your query, only the Redlers can say when Mellel will be developed further and with what features. Progress, as they have admitted, has been slower recently. The best thing to do, obviously, is to ask them directly (support@redlers.com or redlex@redlers.com) about the implementation of the features you require and then decide.
Good point, I have. Made the switch to NWP.

Bye

ealvarez
Knows everything, can prove it
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:44 pm

Re: In case of emergency…

Post by ealvarez » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:44 pm

kcjimmyk wrote:
Good point, I have. Made the switch to NWP.

Bye
What were the questions and answers, so everyone may have the same information? Thanks :)

redlers
Site Admin
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:19 pm

Re: In case of emergency…

Post by redlers » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:35 pm

suavito wrote:
redlers wrote: It's still them bloody girlfriends, Ori, isn't it? ;)
You got it. But she ditched me, so all should be just dandy from now on.

redlers
Site Admin
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:19 pm

Re: In case of emergency…

Post by redlers » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:38 pm

nicka wrote:
1) if Mellel's XML format were documented then other people could write convertors to LaTeX, rtf, doc, docx etc. etc.
http://www.mellel.com/download/developer/Mellel XML Documentation Rev A.pdf

Mart°n
Knows everything, can prove it
Posts: 671
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:09 am
Location: Germany

Re: In case of emergency…

Post by Mart°n » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:21 pm

redlers wrote:
nicka wrote:
1) if Mellel's XML format were documented then other people could write convertors to LaTeX, rtf, doc, docx etc. etc.
http://www.mellel.com/download/developer/Mellel XML Documentation Rev A.pdf
Maybe the link should be like this:
http://www.mellel.com/download/develope ... ev%20A.pdf

rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it
Posts: 978
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:48 am
Location: IE, CA, USA

Re: In case of emergency…

Post by rpcameron » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:48 pm

redlers wrote:
nicka wrote:1) if Mellel's XML format were documented then other people could write convertors to LaTeX, rtf, doc, docx etc. etc.
http://www.mellel.com/download/develope ... ev%20A.pdf
Except that it is nearly 3 years old, incomplete, and more a reference than true documentation.

For for information as to why that "documentation" not sufficient, see my post over at XSD or DTD?
— Robert Cameron

ahleucha
Got the styles thing figured out
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: In case of emergency…

Post by ahleucha » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:53 am

Hi all--I'd just like to say that two of the things I've come to value most about Mellel are its speed and its stability. Well--third thing--I also admire its comparative simplicity, once one understands a few of its operating concepts. In the all-too-common rush to have new releases, upgrades, additional features, etc, I'd have us pause and consider that in some respects this pressure to keep adding features to software has given us the bloated and illogical MS Word and a host of other long-established programs that are over-engineered, too slow, and unstable in a variety of ways. I hope, with all of you, that Mellel keeps up with Mac OS releases and that Ori Redler will continue to upgrade his wonderful program over time, but I also don't think we need to demand new releases and new features simply in order to assure us that the program is still viable and we're getting our money's worth. I think the price of Mellel is extremely reasonable, and if I want to work with images and text flow and such, I also know other programs I can go to for that. This is not to say that features requests are out of line, of course, but simply to say that we're all, right now, using a very fine program.

kcjimmyk
Already downloaded the guide
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:10 pm

Re: In case of emergency…

Post by kcjimmyk » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:13 am

ahleucha wrote:Hi all--I'd just like to say that two of the things I've come to value most about Mellel are its speed and its stability. Well--third thing--I also admire its comparative simplicity, once one understands a few of its operating concepts. In the all-too-common rush to have new releases, upgrades, additional features, etc, I'd have us pause and consider that in some respects this pressure to keep adding features to software has given us the bloated and illogical MS Word and a host of other long-established programs that are over-engineered, too slow, and unstable in a variety of ways. I hope, with all of you, that Mellel keeps up with Mac OS releases and that Ori Redler will continue to upgrade his wonderful program over time, but I also don't think we need to demand new releases and new features simply in order to assure us that the program is still viable and we're getting our money's worth. I think the price of Mellel is extremely reasonable, and if I want to work with images and text flow and such, I also know other programs I can go to for that. This is not to say that features requests are out of line, of course, but simply to say that we're all, right now, using a very fine program.
Did you even read the OP? I was not asking for more features (as I have mentioned previously), I just got burned by a company that went out of business and left me with useless documents when the OS was upgraded. I will not let that happen again. Two years worth of boat anchors is not an option. All I want is a "bail out" plan if worse comes to worse.

kcjimmyk
Already downloaded the guide
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:10 pm

Re: In case of emergency…

Post by kcjimmyk » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:18 am

:arrow:
Last edited by kcjimmyk on Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it
Posts: 978
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:48 am
Location: IE, CA, USA

Re: In case of emergency…

Post by rpcameron » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:38 am

kcjimmyk wrote:Did you even read the OP? I was not asking for more features (as I have mentioned previously), I just got burned by a company that went out of business and left me with useless documents when the OS was upgraded. I will not let that happen again. Two years worth of boat anchors is not an option. All I want is a "bail out" plan if worse comes to worse.
This is part of the reason why I have been so adamant about RedleX publishing their DTD for Mellel's format. If we have the DTD, we can (somewhat easily) convert our Mellel documents into standard formats such as OOXML, ODF, TeX, XSL-FO, &c., regardless of what happens with Mellel and its future development.

I always thought that the reason that developers chose XML formats was to allow their users this security and freedom. However, we are in the same position as users beholden to Microsoft's undocumented binary DOC format that was the mainstay of Word prior to 2007. XML does not equate to standards, but open and valid XML does give a user choice.
— Robert Cameron

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests