Font Change after Snow Leopard

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

JWH
Already downloaded the guide

Font Change after Snow Leopard

Post by JWH »

Greetings,
My school just transferred all my programs and files from my old MacBook Pro (running Tiger) to a new MacBook Pro (running Snow Leopard). I just opened for the first time Mellel (2.7.3 build 2) with my most recent document and the Hebrew font has changed on screen and printout from Ezra SIL SR to what looks like Lucia Grande. The Font menu indicates that it is still Ezra= "(Ezra SIL SR)"----note that it is actually in parentheses in the menu!!! The pull down font menu also has Ezra SIL SR in parentheses. Before I start poking around trying to guess what happened, can anyone help me briefly? What is it Hans Solo says, "I've got a bad feeling about this."
Thanks,
John
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Font Change after Snow Leopard

Post by rpcameron »

JWH wrote:My school just transferred all my programs and files from my old MacBook Pro (running Tiger) to a new MacBook Pro (running Snow Leopard). I just opened for the first time Mellel (2.7.3 build 2) with my most recent document and the Hebrew font has changed on screen and printout from Ezra SIL SR to what looks like Lucia Grande. The Font menu indicates that it is still Ezra= "(Ezra SIL SR)"----note that it is actually in parentheses in the menu!!! The pull down font menu also has Ezra SIL SR in parentheses. Before I start poking around trying to guess what happened, can anyone help me briefly? What is it Hans Solo says, "I've got a bad feeling about this."
John,

Mellel had issues with Snow Leopard originally, but most of them should be worked out. However, one of the more common problems was font related, and usually had to deal with font cache problems. Solutions to several Snow Leopard problems were addressed in a thread I started a while back: Snow Leopard Crashes and Problems. Also linked from that post are three other threads about Snow Leopard problems. Perhaps a solution to your issue might be found there.

(Of course, the first solution would be to double-check that you indeed have the proper version of Ezra SIL SR installed and that it is enabled in Font Book. If the system cannot find the indicated font, it will most likely use a fallback, which often is Lucida Grande.)
— Robert Cameron
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

rpcameron wrote:(Of course, the first solution would be to double-check that you indeed have the proper version of Ezra SIL SR installed and that it is enabled in Font Book. If the system cannot find the indicated font, it will most likely use a fallback, which often is Lucida Grande.)
Yes, before you spend a lot of time checking if Mellel is working correctly, you should take a few moments to check your fonts themselves.

Open TextEdit and enter something in Ezra SIL SR. OK??

Janet
redlers
Site Admin

Post by redlers »

JWH wrote:Greetings,
My school just transferred all my programs and files from my old MacBook Pro (running Tiger) to a new MacBook Pro (running Snow Leopard). I just opened for the first time Mellel (2.7.3 build 2) with my most recent document and the Hebrew font has changed on screen and printout from Ezra SIL SR to what looks like Lucia Grande. The Font menu indicates that it is still Ezra= "(Ezra SIL SR)"----note that it is actually in parentheses in the menu!!! The pull down font menu also has Ezra SIL SR in parentheses. Before I start poking around trying to guess what happened, can anyone help me briefly? What is it Hans Solo says, "I've got a bad feeling about this."
Thanks,
John

Snow Leopard tends to be a bit finicky when it comes to fonts. You should probably re-download the font and install it again. As Janet suggested, testing this with TextEdit would be a useful clue too - if it does not work with TextEdit, than the OS simply does not recognise it.
Cattus Thraex

Post by Cattus Thraex »

Are you sure that font is also installed on your new computer? I have all reasons to doubt its being installed, as it does not make part of the default system installation, so download the font then install it properly, best using Font Book.
If you use your custom fonts, make a copy of them in a folder, and reinstall them after any clean install.
Cattus pulchrum atque gratiosum animal est, thraece et dacoromanice motan appelatur
JWH
Already downloaded the guide

Post by JWH »

Thank you to all for helpful replies, and my apologies for delayed expression of gratitude and update on solution. Indeed, Ezra SR dropped from Font Book when my files were transferred to the new computer (that was not the only problem with fonts, either, as some of you warned might be the case). In any event, I simply performed a new download and install of the font, and everything is fine.
With appreciation,
John