Select all instances of paragraph style

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Benja
Read the guide!

Select all instances of paragraph style

Post by Benja »

I'll admit I haven't become very familiar with the Find dialogue, mainly because it feels like I'd have to learn regular expressions, but I can't seem to find a way to select all instances of a particular paragraph style. I would like to do this so I can change all instances of a paragraph style to another paragraph style (rather than changing the formatting of the existing paragraph style).

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
ozean
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Select all instances of paragraph style

Post by ozean »

Luckily, you don’t have to learn regular expressions to replace styles – there is an extra option for that! You can find it under File > Replace Styles…

:)
the_DZA
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by the_DZA »

Hi Ozean & Benja

While Ozean is right that 'Replace Styles' allows you to replace all occurrences, there are still occasions when it would be useful merely to find or highlight all the occurrences oneself. For example if I have used a particular style to indicate something, and now want to run through those instances and change, or mark, or delete them?

Is there a way to do this? It's a bit like in iTunes, when you want to see which playlists a particular song occurs in: you can right-click and it will show a list. It would be great to see where a particular style (char or para) occurs in a document.

D
redlers
Site Admin

Post by redlers »

the_DZA wrote:Hi Ozean & Benja

While Ozean is right that 'Replace Styles' allows you to replace all occurrences, there are still occasions when it would be useful merely to find or highlight all the occurrences oneself. For example if I have used a particular style to indicate something, and now want to run through those instances and change, or mark, or delete them?

Is there a way to do this? It's a bit like in iTunes, when you want to see which playlists a particular song occurs in: you can right-click and it will show a list. It would be great to see where a particular style (char or para) occurs in a document.

D
There is no direct way to do that, as Mellel does not allow you to search for stuff using a paragraph style as a search term (the "language" for search and replace does not support this) but there is a way around this that might be useful:
A. Set for the paragraph style you wish to find an associated character style (make it unique, of course - e.g., the same style you use with book text but with a different name).
B. Use Replace Style to "freshen" the association (simply choose the paragraph style and request to replace it with the same paragraph style).
C. Now you can search for instances of this paragraph style.

It's a hack, I know.