Best Hebrew Font?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

slhuckstead
Got the styles thing figured out

Best Hebrew Font?

Post by slhuckstead »

What is the best Hebrew/Biblical Hebrew font to use in the Mac environment? I need to find something that retains vowel pointing in presentation software such as Keynote or (can't believe I mention this one) PowerPoint.
jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Best Hebrew Font?

Post by jannuss »

slhuckstead wrote:What is the best Hebrew/Biblical Hebrew font to use in the Mac environment? I need to find something that retains vowel pointing in presentation software such as Keynote or (can't believe I mention this one) PowerPoint.
"Best" is a question of taste .
All the Unicode fonts handle vowel positioning equally well. There are dozens of excellent fonts available for purchase and three well-known free ones:

-- Ezra SIL
-- SBL Hebrew
-- Cardo

Janet
slhuckstead
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by slhuckstead »

There is a problem, if I cut and paste SBL Hebrew from Mellel (where all was well) all of the vowel pointing in iWork or MS Office does not display properly. It is rather confusing, because I thought that with Snow Leopard there would be better continuity with font rendering with the OS. I am probably mistaken (especially in technical language), but I thought, if you will, I would get better WSYWIG rendering.

-Seth
shades

Post by shades »

MS Word does not properly display Hebrew, even in MS Office 2011, which will be released officially Oct. 26.
Rich
old, slow, and confused...but at least I’m inconsistent!

iMac 27" (10. 13. 8 ) and MBP 13" Retina (10. 13. 8 )
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

shades wrote:MS Word does not properly display Hebrew, even in MS Office 2011, which will be released officially Oct. 26.
The same goes for iWork which does not properly recognize Right-to-Left languages.

NeoOffice does a better job, but it's far from perfect.

Janet
kcjimmyk
Read the guide!

Post by kcjimmyk »

Here is a very good tutorial on how to use Hebrew in Keynote. The trick is to use a table rather than a bullet list.
http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~shaulm/keynote/

BTW using a table works in Pages as well.

As far as the font goes. I find the one that comes with Mac OS X (New Peninim) works fine for me.

Hope this helps
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

kcjimmyk wrote:As far as the font goes. I find the one that comes with Mac OS X (New Peninim) works fine for me.
Vowel placement with New Peninim is reasonable, if not up to the standard of Unicode.
The problem with New Peninim is the punctuation, particularly comma and quote marks which are taken from the English side and don't suit the Hebrew text.

Janet