3.0 Wish List

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

harryhoffner
Read the guide, knows everything

Re: 3.0 Wish List

Post by harryhoffner »

I agree with those above who have requested language as a an attribute of character or paragraph styles.

But I would also like to see "script" as an attribute that could be used for search and replace. In working on a long book-length document containing Hebrew or Greek, I sometimes forget and use several different fonts to write these languages. It would be a god-send if I could search for all Hebrew script (or Greek script)—regardless of what font they appear in—and replace them all with a specific font. I can do this in Nisus and other programs, but not in Mellel.
Hans-Reinhard Koch
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Hans-Reinhard Koch »

DylanMuir wrote:I would add the old evergreen suggestion of tying captions and figures together, and having "figure styles" that group both and define their layout on the page.

DRM
I do agree. This is the most urgently needed feature for academic writing. The nice picture placement options introduced some time ago into Mellel are useless, when no (auto-numbered) captions can be married to the pictures. Please attack this soon.

And: Nobody seems to talk about indexing any more. Have we given up on this feature?

Regards
Hans-Reinhard
Hans-Reinhard Koch, Bonn, Germany
kjmatthews

Post by kjmatthews »

Hans-Reinhard Koch wrote:Nobody seems to talk about indexing any more. Have we given up on this feature?
Indexing was listed on the road map the Redlers published some time ago, so I'm pretty sure it's still on the table. I'm not entirely certain why I think this, but I believe indexing may be slated for the next version. I don't think we've given up — we're just waiting to see what happens.
torbjorn perttu
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by torbjorn perttu »

My two wishes:

1. (the important one) Export to epub.

2. Export to html.
Cavi
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Cavi »

In addition to what I wrote before:
1. ability to import document with internet links in it without show the whole link address.
2. ability to check spelling in 2 (or more...) languages.
3. ability to create auto-title with keyboard shortcuts.
4. BETTER .DOC import.
5. ability to import .docx.
6. better GUI.
7. different background color (not the paper).
8. lion options.
9. correct line spacing (the calculation is very poor right now).
10. Legal numbering (1 -> 1.1 ->1.2 -> 1.2.1)

There is more, I think those are the most critical for me.
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

Cavi wrote: 7. different background color (not the paper).
Aren't the background options already available suitable?
-- background image or color in the Page definition,
-- background color in the Section definition, and
-- background (on screen) in Preferences/Document Setup

Janet
Cavi

Post by Cavi »

jannuss wrote:
Cavi wrote: 7. different background color (not the paper).
Aren't the background options already available suitable?
-- background image or color in the Page definition,
-- background color in the Section definition, and
-- background (on screen) in Preferences/Document Setup

Janet
I mean something else; I want that the background of the document will be white. but, the surround will be in a different color (especially in full screen mode).
Hans-Reinhard Koch

Post by Hans-Reinhard Koch »

Cavi wrote:In addition to what I wrote before:
But this has been available as long, as I can think
HR
Hans-Reinhard Koch, Bonn, Germany
Cavi

Post by Cavi »

Hans-Reinhard Koch wrote:
Cavi wrote:In addition to what I wrote before:
But this has been available as long, as I can think
HR
Hi :)
It's available only in the auto-titles :(
Vaissiere
Read the guide!

Post by Vaissiere »

1. Indexing
2. Captions to images
Enkidu Jones
Read the guide!

Post by Enkidu Jones »

I'd still like to see an expansion of the secondary font feature to allow different fonts to be assigned to different Unicode character ranges so that Mellel would automagically select an appropriate font for each language for documents with more than two language types.
Marco
Read the guide!

Post by Marco »

To me, the ability to add a language to Character style, or to have a language style, remains the topmost wish
AdamWysokinski

Post by AdamWysokinski »

One more feature (AFAIK, Nissus has such feature) - linked images that are updated automatically, so changes made to the images are reflected in the document. Great thing for example if the document has embedded a dozen of figures generated via statistical software and one needs to update them due to new data available.
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

AdamWysokinski wrote:One more feature (AFAIK, Nissus has such feature) - linked images that are updated automatically, so changes made to the images are reflected in the document. Great thing for example if the document has embedded a dozen of figures generated via statistical software and one needs to update them due to new data available.
You mean making Mellel LinkBack-enabled? I agree on this one and this has been one of my most regular wishes regarding a future update of Mellel. I really hope they will implement this feature within Mellel 3.0.
dansheffield

Post by dansheffield »

Hi everyone,

As someone who uses Mellel on a daily basis for working with texts in Arabic script, I have two requests, perhaps somewhat obscure, which would make Arabicists & Persianists' lives much easier.

1. Mellel's support of kashida is the most extensive of any word processor on the Mac . But for editing documents with more complicated formatting, it is almost impossible to apply kashida correctly. Poetry in Arabic script is typically printed in two justified columns with kashida in both columns. The reader reads the first line of the right column then the first line of the left column before continuing to the second line. Since column behavior in word processors instead assumes that the first column should be read in its entirety before the second column, the only way that I have found to replicate correct formatting in Mellel is to use tables (see the image below). This seems to work relatively well, until one begins to insert footnotes, in which numbering is sequential in the right cell, then in the left cell (i.e., right column line 1 (R1), R2 ... R13 then L1 ... L13). The correctly formatted footnotes should proceed sequentially from R1 L1 R2 L2 ... R13 L13.
Could there be an easier way to format text of this sort? I'm thinking specifically of using a special tab stop to allow the user to delimit the area in which kashida would appear.

2. I know it's been brought up before, but even rudimentary support for Indic scripts would be greatly appreciated. At the moment, I'm constantly switching back and forth between Mellel for Persian/Arabic and Libreoffice for Sanskrit/Gujarati, and at times have had to resort to making png files of Indic-script excerpts to insert into Mellel documents.

Many thanks for the consideration,

Dan Sheffield
Last edited by dansheffield on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.