Portrait header/footer on a landscape page?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Jakepopshop
Got the styles thing figured out

Portrait header/footer on a landscape page?

Post by Jakepopshop »

Hello,

I would like to insert a table and auto-title in landscape format into a long document which is otherwise portrait, but maintain the portrait header and footer. i.e. page numbers at bottom and section title at top appear in the same place as you flip through the printed document, but for that page the title and table are landscape.. Is this possible??

I realise I can make a landscape page separately, save as a pdf and import it into my portrait mellel document, but this would mean that my auto-title would no longer update itself properly, so is not ideal.

Thanks in advance!
Jake
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Portrait header/footer on a landscape page?

Post by rpcameron »

Jakepopshop wrote:I would like to insert a table and auto-title in landscape format into a long document which is otherwise portrait, but maintain the portrait header and footer. i.e. page numbers at bottom and section title at top appear in the same place as you flip through the printed document, but for that page the title and table are landscape.. Is this possible??

I realise I can make a landscape page separately, save as a pdf and import it into my portrait mellel document, but this would mean that my auto-title would no longer update itself properly, so is not ideal.
Until Mellel introduces free-floating text boxes and tables that can be rotated, this is not presently possible. Mellel's tables have long been known to need some updating and advanced features (including vertical/rotated text and table styles), but what you are looking for is not available.
— Robert Cameron
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

Jake, as R. Patrick says, there is no way to do exactly what you want in the current version of Mellel, but I can offer a semi-usable workaround:

create a landscape page style with no footer or header and enter your table using that style

Not very pretty, but I don't think your users will have difficulty finding [unnumbered] page 23 , for example, between numbered page 22 and page 24.

Janet
Jakepopshop

Post by Jakepopshop »

Thanks for your answers, I thought this might be the case.

It's not a deal breaker, but a rotated table option would be great. I quite like the rest of the table functionality, it seems simple and effective.

Any intelligence on when the table feature will be refreshed?

Jake
Hans-Reinhard Koch

Post by Hans-Reinhard Koch »

There is another work-around (if you have e.g. Photoshop or Acrobate pro):
Create your Landscape table in a separate Mellel doc, export it as pdf, open it in Photoshop (or Acrobate pro), rotate the page to portrait and save as tif or jpg, insert this file as a figure into you Mellel manuscript.
It may work similarly with other (e.g. open source) programs.
Tedious but it will give the best results.
Regards
Hans-Reinhard
Hans-Reinhard Koch, Bonn, Germany
Jakepopshop

Post by Jakepopshop »

Hi Hans,

I like your work around in principle, it's not that fiddly. But how would I get a landscape auto-title in that scenario? If I inserted a title manually in the pdf, then it would appear lanscape with the table, but the numbering in the rest of the mellel doc would be messed up...

Jake
Hans-Reinhard Koch

Post by Hans-Reinhard Koch »

Jakepopshop wrote:Hi Hans,

I like your work around in principle, it's not that fiddly. But how would I get a landscape auto-title in that scenario? If I inserted a title manually in the pdf, then it would appear lanscape with the table, but the numbering in the rest of the mellel doc would be messed up...

Jake
Now, there you find me at a loss. Because we created your table in another document, this will not work.
HR
Hans-Reinhard Koch, Bonn, Germany